Omnipotent Being: A Non-Religious Noun

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, cunctipotent is an ugly word that comes from connecticut. It means all-powerful and omnipotent, but is rather awful.
Smurf
I need a noun that means 'one who is omnipotent' that doesn't have any religious connections. (so not 'god')

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use omnipotent as a noun (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=omnipotent&book=Dictionary [Broken]). If you don't want it to mean God, I wouldn't capitalize it. If that doesn't sound right, you could say omnipotent being. I don't know of another word meaning omnipotent, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
omnipotenter.

no one:s going to say it is incorrect, just *we don:t understand*, but you still understand.

First time I saw it, i thought it was impotent and someone just made a typo on that for fun

honestrosewater said:
You can use omnipotent as a noun (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=omnipotent&book=Dictionary [Broken]).
Fascinating.

I found "cunctipotent", but it's an adjective. (just thought I'd post it as word of the day) :wink:

Cunctipotent
Cunc*tip"o*tent (k?nk-t?p"?-tent), a. [L. cunctipotens; cunctus all + potens powerful.] All-powerful; omnipotent. [R] God cunctipotent." Neale (Trans. Rhythm of St. Bernard).

http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.page.sh?PAGE=356 [Broken]

Evo said:
I found "cunctipotent", but it's an adjective. (just thought I'd post it as word of the day) :wink:

Cunctipotent
Cunc*tip"o*tent (k?nk-t?p"?-tent), a. [L. cunctipotens; cunctus all + potens powerful.] All-powerful; omnipotent. [R] God cunctipotent." Neale (Trans. Rhythm of St. Bernard).

http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.page.sh?PAGE=356 [Broken]
Wow, that's one ugly word. Where does cuncti- come from? Is it Spanish? :confused: Oh, whoops, didn't see the little etymology entry there. Heh.

honestrosewater said:
Wow, that's one ugly word. Where does cuncti- come from? Is it Spanish? :confused: Oh, whoops, didn't see the little etymology entry there. Heh.
It is rather awful, isn't it?

I hope it does not come from connecticut,the uni. where Moonbear is Prof. :biggrin:

Evo said:
It is rather awful, isn't it?
Yeah, it stinks. Rather skunktipotent, if you will. :biggrin: Go ahead, groan...

I groaned a lot.

1. What is an Omnipotent Being?

An Omnipotent Being is a non-religious noun that refers to a being or entity that has unlimited or infinite power and control over all things. This concept is often used in philosophy and theology to describe a supreme being or deity.

2. How is an Omnipotent Being different from a Religious God?

An Omnipotent Being is a non-religious term that does not necessarily imply the existence of a deity. It is a concept that can be applied to any being or entity that possesses unlimited power. A religious god, on the other hand, is typically defined as a supernatural being that is worshipped and believed to have created the universe and controls its destiny.

3. Is there scientific evidence for the existence of an Omnipotent Being?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of an Omnipotent Being. This concept is often considered a philosophical or theological concept and falls outside the realm of scientific inquiry.

4. Can an Omnipotent Being be proven or disproven?

Since an Omnipotent Being is not a scientifically testable concept, it cannot be proven or disproven using the scientific method. However, individuals may have personal beliefs or faith in the existence or non-existence of such a being.

5. How is the idea of an Omnipotent Being relevant to science?

The concept of an Omnipotent Being is not directly relevant to science as it cannot be tested or studied using scientific methods. However, it may be a topic of interest in philosophical or theological discussions and can provide insights into the nature of power and control in the universe.