Is there an AC Mains powered tire inflator? -- Updated

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a compact AC Mains powered tire inflator that can quickly top off tires without the bulk of a full compressor and tank. Suggestions were made for cordless inflators and 12V cigarette lighter compressors, as well as options for using a power drill or small air compressor. The issue of moisture accumulation in the tire was also discussed, with the recommendation to either get a compressor without a tank or install a moisture trap in the air line. The conversation ends with the speaker sharing their personal experience of purchasing a tire inflator that works with both AC Mains and 12Vdc, and their satisfaction with the unit so far.
berkeman
Mentor
I used to have a compressor that I used for keeping my vehicle tires inflated to the right pressures, but it was big and bulky (and I had to keep draining it between uses), so I got rid of it a couple of moves back.

I'd like to be able to keep our vehicle tires topped off, without the bulk of a full compressor and tank. I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for so far -- I either find 12V powered tire pumps (way too weak -- I have one of those), or AC Mains powered "inflators" for pool floaty things and air mattresses.

Does anybody know if there are compact AC Mains powered tire inflators available? Or do I just need to get a small compressor setup and deal with the constant draining issue? Thanks.

Typical 12V powered version:

upload_2019-3-4_8-25-46.png

AC Mains Inflator:

upload_2019-3-4_8-26-37.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-4_8-25-46.png
    upload_2019-3-4_8-25-46.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 677
  • upload_2019-3-4_8-26-37.png
    upload_2019-3-4_8-26-37.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 682
Engineering news on Phys.org
Amazon has a few cordless ones for about $50. Some are the size/shape of a cordless drill.

Amazon also has a 12V cigarette lighter compressor for $23.

I guess I need to look at flow rates or something to be sure I'm getting one that can top off a tire quickly. The 12V powered pump I have now is very weak...

berkeman said:
I guess I need to look at flow rates or something to be sure I'm getting one that can top off a tire quickly. The 12V powered pump I have now is very weak...
I bet it is a case of you get what you pay for. Higher flow rate = more bucks.

BTW: when I travel, I always carry an old-fashione bicycle pump. A couple of times, it was useful. No more than 2 minutes pumping on that thing brings my tire from <20 to >30.

Likes russ_watters
What about the power drill like cordless tire inflators (these use the 18 / 19 v power tool batteries)?

If the compressor has a tank, you will have water accumulation in it. You could get a compressor without a tank and have the moisture in the tire, or install a moisture trap in the air line. Trap prices start around USD $25.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=compressed+air+moisture+trap
(also try that search with 'water' replacing 'moisture')
70333386.jpg

Cheers,
Tom

Attachments

• 70333386.jpg
    70333386.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 445
Likes berkeman and Asymptotic
Tom.G said:
You could get a compressor without a tank and have the moisture in the tire, or install a moisture trap in the air line.
That's interesting -- I hadn't thought of that before but it makes sense. So when using a pump without a water trap (or a tank), water will accumulate in the tire or tube. Other than weight, does that have bad side effects? I know approximately how much water I used to get with my old compressor, but I'll have to think about how much I might get with the straight pump instead. I guess it's probably enough that I should add the water trap...

The only possible drawbacks I can think of for water in the tires are possible rust of steel wheel (are they still available?) and if the tire/wheel assembly is statically balanced it could throw things off (as opposed to dynamic balancing).

But if you have to reinflate very much there is probably a leak that needs looking into.

Just as a personal opinion, going from 25psi to 32psi once (maybe twice) a year, I expect the tire will reach end-of-life from tread wear or Sun and Ozone exposure before moisture build-up is a problem.

Likes berkeman
UPDATE -- I ended up buying a tire inflator that works from either AC Mains or 12Vdc. That way I can plug it into the wall outlet in my garage to top off our vehicle tires, and I can carry it with me for 4-wheeling and other situations where I will be airing down for off-road, and need to air back up when I get back on the road. I also bought a heavy duty 12Vdc extension cord to make it easier to get to all 4 tires.

So far I'm happy with the unit. We'll see how the long-term reliability turns out. :smile:

Nice find!
berkeman said:
We'll see how the long-term reliability turns out.
Mediocre in my experience, just treat them as a consumable. Most of the portable ones are piston pumps running without lubrication; air volume, and particularly maximum pressure, decrease with wear.

Likes berkeman

1. Is there a tire inflator that can be powered by AC mains?

Yes, there are several tire inflators on the market that can be powered by AC mains. These inflators typically come with a power cord that can be plugged into a standard wall outlet.

2. How does an AC mains powered tire inflator work?

An AC mains powered tire inflator works by converting the alternating current from the mains into direct current, which is then used to power the motor that inflates the tire. The inflator also has a pressure gauge and valve to control the air flow and pressure in the tire.

3. Are AC mains powered tire inflators more powerful than other types of inflators?

Not necessarily. The power of a tire inflator depends on the motor and pump design, rather than the power source. However, AC mains powered inflators may have a higher power output compared to battery-powered or manual inflators.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using an AC mains powered tire inflator?

One potential drawback is that you may need access to a power outlet in order to use the inflator, which may limit its portability. Additionally, some AC mains powered inflators may be heavier and bulkier compared to other types of inflators.

5. Can an AC mains powered tire inflator be used for other purposes besides inflating tires?

Yes, some AC mains powered tire inflators come with attachments that allow them to be used for other purposes, such as inflating sports equipment, inflatable toys, or air mattresses. However, it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions to ensure that the inflator is suitable for these other uses.