Is there an easy and safe way to invest money?

• News
  • Thread starter Grands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, if you are still a student and don't have much money, gimme5 is a safe way to invest a little money. There are other ways to invest if you have more money.
Grands
Hi.
I want to ask if is easy to invest in a safe way money, for a person that is still a student and is not a expert about the market.

I find on internet the app gimme5, that ask a very little investment, it is safe?
There are others way like this do invest ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Index funds and shares in Berkshire Hathaway are about as simple and optimal for novice investors as you can get in my humble opinion.

Likes Grands
Two factors will affect this greatly.

1. What do you plan to use this money for, and how far in the future will you need it?

Is it for your retirement, maybe 40 years from now?
Is it for something like buying a house or apartment, maybe 10-15 years from now?
Is it for something like buying a new car, maybe 2-3 years from now?

2. The country you are in, namely Italy.

Financial institutions, investment opportunities, and tax laws vary widely in different countries. It's dangerous for someone who knows only the US to give specific investment advice to someone in Italy (or any other country!). Very general advice may be OK. People elsewhere in the EU may be able to give more specific and useful advice, but I don't know how much variation there is between different parts of the EU.

Likes russ_watters and Grands
Is just a way to make money to help my parents to pay for my university costs

95% of investment offers you will see are designed to make profit for these offering them, not for those investing money. There is no easy and sure way of making money, period.

Probably the best thing you can do is to look for a job. If that's not possible (it probably is possible even if you think it is not, mostly a matter how determined you are) try to at least learn to control your spending.

Likes symbolipoint and Grands
How much do you need?
How much do you have?
When do you need it?
If it were "easy and safe" to invest so those two numbers match in the time scale required, don't you think everyone would do it?

Likes ISamson and Grands
Vanadium 50 said:
How much do you need?
500 euros a month.

Vanadium 50 said:
How much do you have?
more then 600

Vanadium 50 said:
When do you need it?
Monthly

Vanadium 50 said:
If it were "easy and safe" to invest so those two numbers match in the time scale required, don't you think everyone would do it?
No

You have 600 euros and want to turn it into 500 euros a month for at least 4 years? And you don't think if this were "easy and safe" everybody would do this?

I said I have to reach 500 euros, and maybe I can reach a part of them by investing what I have now, earning like 10-15 euros per month.

If you are earning 10-15 euros a month, and you could turn it into 500 euros a month in a way that is "easy and safe", don't you think everybody would do this?

Likes Grands
Grands said:
I find on internet the app gimme5, that ask a very little investment, it is safe?

Got a link for that?

Likes Grands
Don't let people put you off saving/investing. Right now it's hard to get a decent return on a savings account but I think I would put small amounts away in a saving account until I had enough to invest in a mutual fund.

Meanwhile do some reading and research.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
Is just a way to make money to help my parents to pay for my university costs
Then study part-time and GET A JOB like thousands of other students do, all over the world, all the time.

Likes ISamson
Money that you need in the short term (next few years) to pay your university bills should not be invested in anything except in a bank savings or checking account, even though they don't pay much interest.

In general, the potential for greater reward always comes with greater risk. You don't want part, most, or even all of that money to disappear just before you need it to pay a tuition bill.

The US stock market as a whole, as measured by the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index mutual fund, is up more than 17% this year, including reinvested dividends. However, from September 2008 to March 2009 it went down about 45%. It returned to the September 2008 level in November 2010. I could easily wait through that dip beause I didn't need my retirement money yet, I was still adding money to my retirement fund, and only about half my money is in stocks anyway. I could still wait through such a dip even though I'm now retired, because I need to withdraw only a small % of my money each year. Someone who needs a large % of his money to pay a large bill by a certain date, can't afford to risk a dip like that.

Likes Grands
strangerep said:
Then study part-time and GET A JOB like thousands of other students do, all over the world, all the time.
This response does not address the OP's question.

Likes Grands
DaveC426913 said:
This response does not address the OP's question.
Not directly -- but I was commenting on his remark that he wants money to help pay for university. Imho, my response was more practical than all the other replies in this thread. o0)

I mean,... really,... from his post #7: he needs 500 euro/month but he only has 600 now. :doh:

Likes DaveC426913 and symbolipoint
Investments to earn money are either risky enabling you to either earn some or loose some; or are "safe" but enable you to earn very little money. A better way usually to earn money is through having employment. One exception which will need fit for short-term needs, is a tax-shelter retirement account. You need to get proper advice for the region where you are and for the institution to which you would make this kind of investment. Do NOT rely on any internet forum for this advice. You need to consult directly with a professional financial adviser.

Likes Grands
symbolipoint said:
You need to consult directly with a professional financial adviser.
... who would probably bite a good chunk out of the OP's 600 euros in fees. :oldcry:

Grands, maybe you are not currently ready to invest any money. You do not yet know what you need to know. EARN money for a few years through employment first. Guard your spending carefully.

strangerep said:
... who would probably bite a good chunk out of the OP's 600 euros in fees. :oldcry:

Which is exactly one of the things I had on mind when writing post #5.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you are earning 10-15 euros a month, and you could turn it into 500 euros a month in a way that is "easy and safe", don't you think everybody would do this?
You didn't understand what I said.
I just wanted to invest 500-600 euros to have back and earn at least 10-15 euros per month, this can help me to pay for a part of my rent.

CWatters said:
Got a link for that?
https://5gimme5.acomea.it/#

strangerep said:
he needs 500 euro/month but he only has 600 now.
I don't expect to invest 600 euros and to have back 500...I'm not so stupid...
I just wanted to invest this 600 in a way it can help me to reach 500 euros.
Obviously I will do also something else to reach 500 euros.

If the users that answered my question have read carefully my thread, they would understand that those money are for the tuition pay, because I have a so low income that university doesn't make me to pay for it.
I just need that 500 euros for the rent.

Grands said:
I just wanted to invest 500-600 euros to have back and earn at least 10-15 euros per month,
10 euros per month is 120 euros per year. That's a return of 20% per year on a 600 euro principal amount. You will not find anyplace safe where you can earn that much money, unless the general rate of price-inflation is more than 15-18% per year. Let's see what Google gives me for "inflation in Italy"... looks like about 1% per year. See e.g. here: https://tradingeconomics.com/italy/inflation-cpi

With inflation that low, returns on safe investments will also be very low. Here in the US, inflation was about 2% over the past year. 5-year certificates of deposit at banks are giving about 2.5% interest. Vanguard's Total Bond Market fund (which I use as part of my investments) currently returns about 2.5%, with some fluctuation (a few %) in the principal amount.

Likes Grands
Grands said:
If the users that answered my question have read carefully my thread

Wrong. They responded to exactly what you wrote. The problem is you didn't write what you meant. Don't blame the forum for that.

Grands said:
I just wanted to invest this 600 in a way it can help me to reach 500 euros.

For example.

jtbell said:
That's a return of 20% per year on a 600 euro principal amount. You will not find anyplace safe where you can earn that much money

True. Can we close this thread now?

Likes NTL2009
jtbell said:
10 euros per month is 120 euros per year. That's a return of 20% per year on a 600 euro principal amount. You will not find anyplace safe where you can earn that much money, unless the general rate of price-inflation is more than 15-18% per year. Let's see what Google gives me for "inflation in Italy"... looks like about 1% per year. See e.g. here: https://tradingeconomics.com/italy/inflation-cpi

With inflation that low, returns on safe investments will also be very low. Here in the US, inflation was about 2% over the past year. 5-year certificates of deposit at banks are giving about 2.5% interest. Vanguard's Total Bond Market fund (which I use as part of my investments) currently returns about 2.5%, with some fluctuation (a few %) in the principal amount.

What about buying stocks form AAPL ?
In the last year the price growth a lot.

Grands said:
What about buying stocks form AAPL ?
In the last year the price growth a lot.

Which still doesn't guarantee there will be no market correction in a near future.

TANSTAAFL

Vanadium 50 said:
True. Can we close this thread now?
Done...

Likes NTL2009

1. What is the best way to invest money for beginners?

The best way to invest money for beginners is to start with low-risk options such as index funds or exchange-traded funds (ETFs). These options allow you to invest in a diverse portfolio without needing a lot of experience or knowledge about the stock market. It is also important to do thorough research and consult with a financial advisor before making any investment decisions.

2. Is it safe to invest money in the stock market?

Investing in the stock market always carries some level of risk. However, if you diversify your portfolio and invest for the long-term, the potential for higher returns can outweigh the risks. It is also important to regularly monitor your investments and make adjustments as needed.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when investing money?

Some common mistakes to avoid when investing money include not doing enough research, investing in something you don't understand, and having unrealistic expectations for returns. It is also important to not put all of your money into one investment and to have a diverse portfolio.

4. How much money should I invest?

The amount of money you should invest depends on your financial situation and goals. It is important to have an emergency fund and to only invest money that you can afford to potentially lose. A general rule of thumb is to invest 10-15% of your income, but it is best to consult with a financial advisor to determine the best amount for your specific situation.

5. Are there any easy and safe ways to invest money?

As mentioned earlier, index funds and ETFs are relatively easy and safe ways for beginners to invest money. Other options include robo-advisors, which use algorithms to invest your money for you, and target-date funds, which automatically adjust your investment strategy as you near retirement. However, it is important to do your own research and consult with a financial advisor to determine the best option for you.