Is there an easy trick to this (getting into form)

• Thread starter amb123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the integrating factor is put into the form y`*f(x) + f’(x) * y. To solve for y, you integrate each side of the equation to get f(x)*y.
amb123
I am trying to solve a linear 1st order diff eq. I have found the integrating factor, and multiplied it through the equation, now expecting it to be exact. However, I can't get it into an easy to solve form.
After multiplying by the integrating factor I have :

(e^-3x) dy/dx - (3e^-3x) y = 6e^-3x I can't figure out how to get this into form. The schaum's book puts this in the form d/dx [ye^-3x)] = 6e^-3x. I see that if you use the product rule on ye^-3x you get the original, but I'm not sure how you figure out how to get the original to the second form. Is there a trick? Can my TI89 do it? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have a test tomorrow and I'm not doing terribly well. I understand the problem before and after this part, but not this transition.

thx.
-A

Physics news on Phys.org
1st order linear differential equations are quite simple. First you must get it into this form:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} + Py = Q[/tex]

Where P and Q are functions of x or constants. Next work out:

[tex]e^{\int P dx}[/tex]

Multiply your whole equation by that to get:

[tex]e^{\int P dx} \frac{dy}{dx} + e^{\int P dx}Py = e^{\int P dx}Q[/tex]

Notice that the left hand side takes the form of the product rule, so we can now get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( e^{\int P dx} y \right) = e^{\int P dx}Q[/tex]

[tex]e^{\int P dx} y = \int e^{\int P dx}Q dx[/tex]

[tex]y = \frac{\int e^{\int P dx}Q dx}{e^{\int P dx}}[/tex]

Last edited:
How do I read your boxed text, is there a program I need to d/l?

thx.
a

amb123 said:
How do I read your boxed text, is there a program I need to d/l?

thx.
a
No, it is just supposed to display the appropriate maths symbols, I'll PM a mod and ask what went wrong.

i don't know i guess, if he's in a hurry,
he can click and it opens a link with html langage
but easily understood equations :)

Sorry, I've been told the LaTeX interpreter was down yesterday and LaTeX still doesn't seem to be working, so I've typed it up on my computer and saved it as a JPEG file.

Just a little explanation:

1st line: P and Q are functions of x or constants

2nd line: Multiplying the whole thing by e^(Integral of P with respect to x). Notice now the left hand side takes the form of the product rule.

3rd line: Putting in the form d/dx (uv)

4th line: Integrating both sides

Attachments

• Integral.jpg
    Integral.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 428
It's the second to third line that I'm not seeing here. How do you know what is d/dx(uv) ? I can see it going backward, that using the product rule on uv gives the previous line, but I can't see it going forward. How do you know what is u and v from looking at eq 2?

Thanks for taking the time to help!
-A

With out being able to see the latex I am not sure if I am answering your question.

But what the integrating factor you used is put something in the form of:

y` * f(x) + f’(x) * y =
where f(x) is your integrating factor

but y` * f(x) + f’(x) * y is the product rule backwards

that means: y’ * f(x) + f’(x) * y = d(f(x)*y)/dx.

So you can integrate each side of the equation to remove your differentiation around the f(x)*y.

Which gives you f(x)*y. now of course what ever you do to one side of the equation you need to do to the other, so you will multiply the rhs by your integrating factor and then integrate it.

JonF I posted up a image of the workings in a later post.

Sorry LaTeX still doesn't seem to be working but I'll try and make myself as clear as possible.

The first thing we know is that d(y)/dx = dy/dx. So we can say that u = y and u'=dy/dx

If we look at the left hand side of line 1 this gives us:

u' + Pu

Where P is some function of x. If we now multiply the whole thing by another function of x we get:

f(x)u' + f(x)Pu

Now as the standard form of the product rule is: vu' + v'u = d(uv)/dx

Comparing we can say that v = f(x) and v'=f(x)P

If we let f(x) = e^(Integral of P dx) this gives us f'(x) = [e^(Integral of P dx)]P = f(x)P

So with f(x) = e^(Integral of P dx) we now have the form:

vu' + v'u

We can now let this equal d(uv)/dx

Hope that helps.

Edit: My 1st post is now working :smile:

Last edited:

1. Is there a specific exercise that can help me get into form quickly?

No, there is no one exercise that guarantees quick results. Getting into form requires a combination of regular exercise, a balanced diet, and consistency.

2. Can I achieve my desired form without changing my diet?

While exercise is important for getting into form, a balanced and healthy diet is essential. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet. It is important to fuel your body with the proper nutrients for optimal results.

3. How often do I need to work out to see results?

The frequency of workouts depends on your current fitness level, goals, and schedule. However, it is generally recommended to exercise at least 3-4 times a week for noticeable results.

4. Are there any shortcuts to getting into form?

No, there are no shortcuts. Achieving and maintaining form requires dedication, consistency, and patience. Be wary of any promises of quick fixes or "secret" methods.

5. How long does it take to get into form?

The time it takes to get into form varies for each individual. Factors such as starting fitness level, genetics, and lifestyle all play a role. It is important to focus on progress rather than a specific timeline and to make sustainable lifestyle changes for long-term results.