Example of Commutative but Not Associative Binary Operation

In summary, In the conversation, the group discusses various examples of binary operations, including those that are associative and commutative, associative but not abelian, and the possibility of a binary operation that is commutative but not associative. They also explore the concept of "natural" examples, with the group eventually settling on a symmetric polynomial as an example of a binary operation that is commutative but not associative. The conversation also touches on the relationship between associative and commutative laws and the existence of "natural" examples.
Maths Lover
hi ,

I met lot's of binary operation which is associative and commtative and I also met lot's of binary operation which is associative and not abelian

but
is there an example for a binary operation which is commtative and not associative ?
I don't remmber that I've met one likes this .

and what about a binary operation which is not commutative and not abelian ?

I know that there is no relation between associative and commutative laws

but , all books don't mentions operations like this ?!

Physics news on Phys.org

Let's make a random one! With 3 values to keep it small.

Commutativity means the multiplication table should be symmetric.

Code:
  abc
 +---
a|aca
b|cac
c|acb

(ab)c = cc = b
a(bc) = ac = a

Ah good, my first guess worked out. Would probably have been better to construct the multiplication table systematically to ensure that it wouldn't be associative, but my intuition says that "most" randomly chosen operations should be non-associative.

Ah, but I can guess you're about to ask for a "natural" example. (be careful that you're not asking simply because you find distasteful the idea that examples exist!)

The first examples of symmetric binary operations that arise "naturally" spring to mind are symmetric polynomials. Here's a quadratic polynomial as an example:

[tex]f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2[/tex]

If we use this function to define a binary operation on real numbers, we have

[tex]a \star(b \star c) = a^2 + (b^2 + c^2)^2 = a^2 + b^4 + c^4 + 2b^2 c^2[/tex]
[tex](a \star b) \star c = (a^2 + b^2)^2 + c^2 = a^4 + b^4 + c^2 + 2a^2 b^2[/tex]

Hurkyl said:
Ah, but I can guess you're about to ask for a "natural" example. (be careful that you're not asking simply because you find distasteful the idea that examples exist!)

The first examples of symmetric binary operations that arise "naturally" spring to mind are symmetric polynomials. Here's a quadratic polynomial as an example:

[tex]f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2[/tex]

If we use this function to define a binary operation on real numbers, we have

[tex]a \star(b \star c) = a^2 + (b^2 + c^2)^2 = a^2 + b^4 + c^4 + 2b^2 c^2[/tex]
[tex](a \star b) \star c = (a^2 + b^2)^2 + c^2 = a^4 + b^4 + c^2 + 2a^2 b^2[/tex]

I think that this example is great !

thank you very much :)

Here's a "natural" example:

Code:
·|rps
-+---
r|rpr
p|pps
s|rss

"Natural" because kids play this everywhere. It's rock paper scissors.

Maths Lover said:
and what about a binary operation which is not commutative and not abelian ?
Commutative is abelian. I take it you mean not commutative and not associative? If so then there's subtraction for example. Or exponentiation ([itex]a^b[/itex]).

1. What is an example of a commutative but not associative binary operation?

An example of a commutative but not associative binary operation is subtraction. For example, (5-3)-2=0, but 5-(3-2)=4. The order in which the numbers are subtracted changes the result, making it non-associative.

2. What does it mean for a binary operation to be commutative?

A binary operation is commutative if the order in which the operands are used does not affect the result. In other words, a commutative binary operation will give the same result regardless of the order in which the operands are used.

3. How is a commutative but not associative binary operation different from a commutative and associative one?

A commutative and associative binary operation follows two properties: commutativity, where the order of the operands does not affect the result, and associativity, where the grouping of the operands does not affect the result. A commutative but not associative binary operation only follows the property of commutativity, meaning the order of the operands matters but the grouping does not.

4. What are some real-life examples of a commutative but not associative binary operation?

Subtraction, division, and exponentiation are all examples of commutative but not associative binary operations. For example, if you are dividing a group of people into teams, the order in which you divide them will affect the teams they end up on, making division non-associative.

5. What is the significance of studying commutative but not associative binary operations?

Studying commutative but not associative binary operations helps us to understand the properties and limitations of different mathematical operations. It also has practical applications, such as in computer science and coding, where the order of operations can greatly affect the outcome of a program.