Is there an optimum hardness for bone?

• Thread starter Tyro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hardness
In summary, based on this conversation, it seems as though bones can be either hard or soft, but too hard bones would not be able to withstand force and may break, while too soft bones may not be able to withstand shock and may fracture.
Tyro
Obviously, anyone with osteoporosis can tell you that bones can be too soft. But can bones be too hard?

I thought that this may be possible because part of cushioning we get when we do everything from walking to jumping, comes from the flexing/compressing of bones (however small). The rest comes from the joints and the muscles.

What happens in people with an abundance of osteoblasts but too few osteoclasts? Are their bones too hard, and do their joints suffer as a result?

Biology news on Phys.org
Osteoperosis does not change the hardness of bones, but the density of bones. Bones break more easily because they become thinner, and thus more fragile.

Thus osteoperosis is not a change in the composition of the bone, but instead a reduction in total bone mass, and - more importantly - a loss of bone mass in important locations.

The opposite problem -- excessive buildup of bone -- can occur in the form of bone spurs, and calcification of joints.

"Hard" bones (...) is another way of saying bones which do not flex much when force is exerted on it. And another word of that would be brittle !

Osteoblasts = Bone builders (?)
Osteoclasts = Bone desolvers (?)

With too many osteoblasts compared to osteoclasts, there would be continual secreation of bone matrix (callogen + calcium matrix i believe) wouldn't make the bone "harder".. maybe just bigger and bigger. But i don't think it would occur as bone that is too think would result in the cells being cut off from nutrients and thus die, mantaining an equilibrium in bone building/desolving.

Slightly off topic:

When I was young, I always wondered what would happen if you hit a diamond with a hammer. The responses were :

Geography teacher (geologist): Nothing! Diamonds are the hardest naturally occurring substance on earth..

Physics teacher: If you apply enough energy, it would shatter.

So I would assume that the bone would shatter, rather than just bend for adolescents and fracture for adults.

I'm not well read in this area (in fact not read at all), but it sounds as though this might be related to a lack of tensile strentgh, causing shock to be aborbed by joint tissue.[?]

Last edited:

What is bone hardness and why is it important?

Bone hardness refers to the stiffness and resistance of bones to deformation. It is an important factor in maintaining the structural integrity and mechanical function of the skeletal system.

Is there a specific measure of bone hardness?

Yes, bone hardness can be measured using various techniques such as indentation testing, ultrasound, and microhardness testing. These methods provide quantitative data on the mineral density and elastic properties of bones.

What factors affect bone hardness?

Bone hardness is influenced by several factors including genetics, age, diet, physical activity, and hormonal balance. For example, regular weight-bearing exercises and a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D can increase bone hardness.

Is there an optimum level of bone hardness?

There is no specific optimum level of bone hardness as it varies depending on factors such as age, gender, and bone location. However, a healthy level of bone hardness is necessary to prevent fractures and maintain overall skeletal health.

Can bone hardness be improved or restored?

Yes, bone hardness can be improved or restored through various lifestyle changes and medical interventions. These include regular exercise, proper nutrition, hormone therapy, and certain medications that promote bone growth and mineralization.