Is there any association of people studying Maths?

• Studying
  • Thread starter Hall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary, a person who is unable to enroll in college due to job commitments may seek alternative methods of learning, such as self-study or hiring a tutor. However, it may be difficult to fully absorb college-level knowledge while working full-time. One may also seek online experts for guidance, but this may require thorough research.
Hall said:
What is so unnatural about a man doing a job for 8 hours a day and six days in a week and not having time to go to college? Should he wait for his retirement, so, that he shall have free time once again? Even if he were to take a break from his job, no institute will let him complete his degree before 3 years.
To the OP:

One option that you could consider would be to pursue a college/university degree part-time. In Canada (where I'm located), many local universities have options available for students to take degree programs on a part-time basis (depending on the specific program). In some programs these can be done completely online, whereas others may require attending the schools in person.

One issue of course is the course schedule involved. Generally most courses are taught during regular work hours (so between 8AM and 5PM), although evening classes are often available.

How much flexibility do you have in your current job? Perhaps you can discuss with your manager/boss about your interests in pursuing university studies part-time, and see if they can work a flexible schedule where you can attend courses.

Last edited:
Likes Hall
Physics news on Phys.org
StatGuy2000 said:
One issue of course is the course schedule involved. Generally most courses are taught during regular work hours (so between 8AM and 5PM), although evening classes are often available.

How much flexibility do you have in your current job? Perhaps you can discuss with your manager/boss about your interests in pursuing university studies part-time, and see if they can work a flexible schedule where you can attend courses.
Yes, I may be able to change by general shift to night shift (though I'm not very sure) and then things might be fine.
StatGuy2000 said:
One option that you could consider would be to pursue a college/university degree part-time. In Canada (where I'm located), many local universities have options available for students to take degree programs in a part-time basis (depending on the specific program). In some programs these can be done completely online, whereas others may require attending the schools in person.
Thanks for this information. Can you please tell me which universities are those (the online ones)?

Hall said:
Thanks for this information. Can you please tell me which universities are those (the online ones)?
The UK has The Open University, which offers students the ability to study various programs off-campus, frequently online.

https://www.open.ac.uk/

In Canada (where I'm located), the University of Waterloo offers various part-time and online degree programs. See the link below.

https://uwaterloo.ca/future-students/part-time-online-degrees

Also in Canada, Athabasca University offers online and distance education to students all over Canada and around the world, and I know they offer an undergraduate degree program in applied mathematics.

https://www.athabascau.ca/programs/index.html?/undergraduate/all/all

Those are just the universities and programs I'm familiar with -- there may be other schools in Canada that offer extended online/distance education. I should also add that I'm not as familiar with similar programs offered in universities in the US.

@Hall , if I may ask, where are you located?

Likes Hall
@ Hall. Any update? Have you decided to pursue university studies?

Seems to me @Hall you have reached quite a high (if not high for sure decent) level of math by self studying if I judge from your other posts here in PF.

Likes Hall
MidgetDwarf said:
@ Hall. Any update? Have you decided to pursue university studies?
Thank you for asking, yes, I began with Linear Algebra and Real Analysis. But I’m doing self-studies, not enrolled in any university.

Delta2 said:
Seems to me @Hall you have reached quite a high (if not high for sure decent) level of math by self studying if I judge from your other posts here in PF.
All the credit goes to helpers and supporters like you.

Likes Delta2
Hall said:
Thank you for asking, yes, I began with Linear Algebra and Real Analysis. But I’m doing self-studies, not enrolled in any university.
Did you contact any local universities for referrals to potential tutors?

• Informative
Likes Delta2