Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any corrolation between thermal conductivity coefficient and molecular wi

1. Jan 1, 2010 #1
    is there any corrolation between thermal conductivity coefficient and molecular wieght Mw

according to the units [K] W/(m·K) it is independant of mass units (kg or g/mol etc)

in my question i am asked to show with a graph, but i have no idea what graph they are talking about

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: is there any corrolation between thermal conductivity coefficient and molecular

Put thermal conductivity coefficient of Y axis and Mw on X axis and plot data points for any number of substances (the more, the better). Either there will be some obvious correlation or not.

You may also try to make a plot for some selected group of substances, like alkali metals, or metals in general.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Jan 2, 2010 #3
    Re: is there any corrolation between thermal conductivity coefficient and molecular

using

Al; Cu; Ag; Au; Pb

this is the graph i got
    untitled.jpg

but how do i know if there is any correlation, i know its not linear,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?