Is there any history about where you live

• History
  • Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    History
In summary, San Diego was a major port described by Dana in his autobiographical book, Two Years Before the Mast. He describes what San Diego, its harbor, and weather were like back then in great detail, which is a kick for anyone living here now. Back then it was completely rural, nothing but cattle ranches and beautiful scenery.
A minor one, but I once lived in a flat in London that was on the corner of two streets. While I was living there my mother, a keen genealogist, found that we had a distant relative who had been killed over-turning his (horse-drawn) cart on the next corner, less than thirty seconds' walk from my flat. We have no other family connections within a couple of miles of the place.

Likes CrazyNinja, Sophia and wolram
Science news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Did you see any spooks Stat Guy?

No I didn't, although there was a professor in the Arts professor who was murdered in that building when I was a graduate student with an office in that same building. The case is still unsolved to this day, 15 years afterwards (I'm dating myself here).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...-in-university-of-toronto-cold-case-1.2553071

https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...who_killed_university_professor_david_buller/

Interestingly, the professor was murdered supposedly at the same time that I had left the building to attend a seminar. I didn't see or hear anything, since the office for statistics graduate students was in the opposite end from where the arts professors' offices were located, and the way the building was structured you can't see or hear anything from that end (plus there are multiple entry and exit points in the building).

Julius Caesar crossed -according to legend- the river Thames (and Brent) not far from where I live, this would have been during the 2nd invasion of Britain in 54 AD.

(there is actually no real evidence for this, but the landscape fits with Caesar's own description of the crossing so it is at least a strong contender for the location of the crossing).

f95toli said:
Julius Caesar crossed -according to legend- the river Thames (and Brent) not far from where I live, this would have been during the 2nd invasion of Britain in 54 AD.

(there is actually no real evidence for this, but the landscape fits with Caesar's own description of the crossing so it is at least a strong contender for the location of the crossing).
Julius Caesar died in 44 BC. perhaps it was another Roman leader?

Sophia said:
Julius Caesar died in 44 BC. perhaps it was another Roman leader?
The second invasion of Britain by Julius Caesar was 54 BC, not AD.

Likes CrazyNinja and Sophia
Sorry, I meant 54 BCo:)

Tsu said:
I LOVE MC MENAMINS EDGEFIELD! :biggrin:

A wee bit of drinking be happening there tonight.o0)
25843352926_13ec8d8a93_c_d.jpg

Likes 1oldman2
No, there's no history where I live.

We don't get any weather, either.

nsaspook said:
A wee bit of drinking be happening there tonight.o0)
25843352926_13ec8d8a93_c_d.jpg

OH yeah! :biggrin: Best hang out in the region! :wink:

Right here where my house is built on was a mine field. Before building it, we also digged up several human skulls and bones. Too bad we couldn't find any treasures or something valuable remained with the dead people.

Likes CrazyNinja and Sophia
Pepper Mint said:
Right here where my house is built on was a mine field. Before building it, we also digged up several human skulls and bones. Too bad we couldn't find any treasures or something valuable remained with the dead people.
That is by far, the most scariest post I've seen on PF.

:nb):nb)

Likes Pepper Mint
Pittsburgh has huge history. Andrew Carnegie built this town into a steel making machine. He enforced his dominance over the city with his cohorts, one of whom was named Frick, whose name during and after his life became a good alternative to the F-Word as a direct result of his hatred for the working class. Carnegie did however complete a huge number of philanthropy projects including several libraries, museums, and founding CMU (then Carnegie Tech). If it weren't for Carnegie Pittsburgh would have just been another river community like Charleston, WV with no significant economy. Now we are a bustling city with a large and growing middle class. Google and other tech giants opened shop here not too long ago. Carnegie may not have been a saint, but we've reaped the benefits of his industrial tact and philanthropy for sure.

I live at the crossing of the Oregon and Santa Fe trails. There are historic markers all around were I live. Years ago my dog dug a few feet down and came up with 2 bones that appeared to be human leg bones, of course before I could have them examined, the girls took them to a friend's house and I never saw them again.

PhotonSSBM said:
Pittsburgh has huge history. Andrew Carnegie built this town into a steel making machine. He enforced his dominance over the city with his cohorts, one of whom was named Frick, whose name during and after his life became a good alternative to the F-Word as a direct result of his hatred for the working class. Carnegie did however complete a huge number of philanthropy projects including several libraries, museums, and founding CMU (then Carnegie Tech). If it weren't for Carnegie Pittsburgh would have just been another river community like Charleston, WV with no significant economy. Now we are a bustling city with a large and growing middle class. Google and other tech giants opened shop here not too long ago. Carnegie may not have been a saint, but we've reaped the benefits of his industrial tact and philanthropy for sure.
I like your pic, it takes me back, so many memories.

Why would he hate the working class, they are the source of his richness. And hating them goes against the definition of philanthropist I read.

Evo said:
I live at the crossing of the Oregon and Santa Fe trails. There are historic markers all around were I live. Years ago my dog dug a few feet down and came up with 2 bones that appeared to be human leg bones, of course before I could have them examined, the girls took them to a friend's house and I never saw them again.

Are you sure those leg bones were not yours:biggrin:

wolram said:
Are you sure those leg bones were not yours:biggrin:
You're joking right ?

Psinter said:
I like your pic, it takes me back, so many memories.

Why would he hate the working class, they are the source of his richness. And hating them goes against the definition of philanthropist I read.
He hated unions and the idea of giving his steel workers better working conditions. He routinely used the police of Pittsburgh to end strikes with force through his cohorts (i.e. Frick). But he also valued shared knowledge and experience, hence the libraries and museums.

PhotonSSBM said:
He hated unions and the idea of giving his steel workers better working conditions. He routinely used the police of Pittsburgh to end strikes with force through his cohorts (i.e. Frick). But he also valued shared knowledge and experience, hence the libraries and museums.
Oh, I see.

About ten miles north of my town is a minor Revolutionary War battle site. A few miles east from it is a former plantation house where Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet stopped for dinner while fleeing Union troops at the end of the Civil War.

Likes wolram
jtbell said:
About ten miles north of my town is a minor Revolutionary War battle site. A few miles east from it is a former plantation house where Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet stopped for dinner while fleeing Union troops at the end of the Civil War.

Are there many of these plantation houses still in existence,?