Is there any official test for basics of electrical engineering?

In summary: If you can't physically attend class, you may be able to get transcripts for the classes you did attend and have them evaluated by the department. You may be able to make it up as a Make-Up Credit if you are able to do that.In summary, KCL apologized for being sarcastic and said that she wished she didn't write it down. She said that she was more interested to know about my other courses since she is in EE too.
KCL
I had to withdraw from this semester due to medical reasons and I would rather not repeat the two engineering classes I took - I feel that I can study what I missed and master it. My only option is to take a test my school would give me in those two classes that I couldn't complete and if I pass the tests, I'd get credit for those two classes and be able to continue to higher level stuff.

The problem is that they don't give those test to anybody and I would like to know if I can take to them some proof that I deserve to take those tests. That proof would be this mystical basics of EE test I'm looking for... :biggrin:

The two classes I'm talking about are introduction to circuit analysis and introduction to digital systems... I really doubt there's something out there for those but I can study more advanced material if I need to.

Is there any such test? I know it's a long shot but no harm in asking, and it's driving me insane just wondering so why not.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a list of the homework assignments for the rest of the semester that you missed in those classes, and do them. Then show them as proof that you are ready for the test. There would not be some other exam that you could take to show that you're ready for those particular exams.

Oh, and take in something from your doctor as well, to prove that you had no choice but to miss the rest of the semester.

I am just curious as to why you only had those two courses in EE?
Or if you had more than those two courses then why were you unable to complete just those two courses and yet finish the others? << Overly sarcastic remark removed by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, there is no "basics of EE" test. In my opinion, other than the basics of analog circuits and some simple digital design, there's really nothing that every EE major will know. I don't know a thing about communications and know almost nothing about computer architecture, but I'm sure that I could bore you to death talking about semiconductors, device electronics, and optoelectronics. Some people that I know have taken the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, but that's so focused on mechanics that it almost has no meaning for a EE.

berkeman - excellent idea, thanks, I guess that's what I'll do. :smile:

Edit: or maybe not, HW solutions have all been e-mailed out for both EE classes I was in, so I guess it might not really have that much of an impact. I'm doing those problems for practice anyway but I don't think I'll take them to the department now.

budala said:
I am just curious as to why you only had those two courses in EE?
Or if you had more than those two courses then why were you unable to complete just those two courses and yet finish the others? << Overly sarcastic remark removed by berkeman >>

*wonders what that overly sarcastic remark was...*

I was taking 5 classes - two of them EE... why? uh, pre-requisites I guess? It's not like I can take Advanced Electronics before finishing intro to circuit analysis... :confused:

And I didn't finish my other classes. I withdrew from the entire semester. Except those other classes were simply general education courses that I can take anytime as opposed to the EE classes that I needed to advanced to higher level ones. It doesn't matter whether I get credit for introduction to literature this semester because it's not a pre-requisite for an EE class like electronics or engineering mathematics.

Last edited:
KCL, I am very sorry, I do apologize. Please forgive me I did not mean to be sarcastic although it appears to be. I wish I did not write it down.
I was more interested to know about your other courses since I am in EE too.
Thanks bro, I promise never again.

Does your medical condition stop you from attending class? Can you still make it physically to class? If you can, perhaps you can sit-in on the class and learn along with the class without actually being enrolled.

1. What is the purpose of an official test for basics of electrical engineering?

An official test for basics of electrical engineering is designed to assess the knowledge and understanding of fundamental concepts in this field. It tests the ability to apply theoretical principles to practical scenarios and to demonstrate proficiency in basic skills and techniques.

2. Who should take an official test for basics of electrical engineering?

Anyone who wants to pursue a career in electrical engineering or related fields should consider taking an official test for basics of electrical engineering. This includes students, job seekers, and professionals looking to advance their careers.

3. What topics are typically covered in an official test for basics of electrical engineering?

The topics covered in an official test for basics of electrical engineering may vary, but they often include basic circuit analysis, electrical components and circuits, electrical measurements, and basic electrical laws and principles.

4. How can one prepare for an official test for basics of electrical engineering?

Preparation for an official test for basics of electrical engineering should include reviewing fundamental concepts, practicing problem-solving techniques, and familiarizing oneself with the format and types of questions that may be asked. Utilizing study materials such as textbooks, practice tests, and online resources can also be helpful.

5. Is an official test for basics of electrical engineering necessary for a successful career in this field?

While an official test for basics of electrical engineering may not be a requirement for all jobs in this field, it can demonstrate a strong foundation of knowledge and skills to potential employers. Additionally, passing an official test can provide a sense of accomplishment and confidence in one's abilities.