Is there any proof to show that gravity works at the Planck length?

In summary: Please show or reference some calculations supporting this.I don't think that's necessary. The assumption that gravity acts at Planck length is still an assumption, just as the assumption that gravity applies at all distances is an assumption. But the idea that gravity would become infinite at plank length is not something that is currently accepted as mainstream theory.
mitrasoumya
Is there any experimental proof which shows that the force of gravity works at Planck length? Has it been verified already? Is it verifiable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing at the Planck length is currently observable as far as I know. So I don't think any experiments have been set up in an attempt to test anything at that scale.

Likes mitrasoumya
Do we even have the accuracy and precision to measure the force of gravity at atomic level? I would be actually really surprised if we do.

Likes mitrasoumya
mitrasoumya said:
Is there any experimental proof which shows that the force of gravity works at Planck length? Has it been verified already? Is it verifiable?
Plank length is approximately TWENTY ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE smaller than anything we can currently measure, so no. BUT ... there is nothing special about the plank length in that regard, any more than there's anything special about the meter or the foot.

Likes TheOldFart, Tazerfish, mitrasoumya and 1 other person
phinds said:
Plank length is approximately TWENTY ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE smaller than anything we can currently measure, so no. BUT ... there is nothing special about the plank length in that regard, any more than there's anything special about the meter or the foot.
But how can we say that so confidently about something we haven't been able to measure as yet.

Because there is no reason to think that Planck length is special. If there is no reason, why should we think it is special? There are other "planck units", like Planck resistance, which I read here (didn't calculate it myself) is about 30 ohms. Why should we think it's special?

Likes mitrasoumya
weirdoguy said:
Because there is no reason to think that Planck length is special. If there is no reason, why should we think it is special? There are other "planck units", like Planck resistance, which I read here (didn't calculate it myself) is about 30 ohms. Why should we think it's special?
Plank length is the shortest meaningful distance and therefore it IS special.

mitrasoumya said:

That's only true for certain quantum theories of gravity. All of which are hypothetical and are not currently accepted as mainstream theories.

Likes mitrasoumya
mitrasoumya said:
you are giving it too much importance

you really need to listen to what the others are telling you :smile:

Likes mitrasoumya
Drakkith said:
That's only true for certain quantum theories of gravity. All of which are hypothetical and are not currently accepted as mainstream theories.
But the "mainstream" is incomplete, and therefore leaves gaps that have to be filled by some or other hypothesis. The assumption that gravity acts at Planck length is still an assumption. And all assumptions tend to limit our imagination. The "obviousness" of objects falling down, the idea of absolute space and absolute time were all assumptions that have been proved wrong by proof.

mitrasoumya said:
But the "mainstream" is incomplete, and therefore leaves gaps that have to be filled by some or other hypothesis.

And?

mitrasoumya said:
assumption that gravity acts at Planck length is still an assumption.

If it doesn't act at the Planck length, then how does it act at larger distances? All known fundamental forces become stronger at shorter distances. The idea that gravity acts at all lengths is far more than an assumption in my opinion.

Likes OnlyMe and mitrasoumya
davenn said:
you really need to listen to what the others are telling you

This.

If it were me, I'd learn what physics says before complaining that physicists are doing it wrong and limiting their imagination. Just sayin;.

Last edited:
Likes mitrasoumya
Drakkith said:
All known fundamental forces become stronger at shorter distances.
Yes. And that implies that the force would become infinite at plank length! Which perhaps has no observational evidence.

mitrasoumya said:
Yes. And that implies that the force would become infinite at plank length!

Please show or reference some calculations supporting this.

mitrasoumya said:
Yes. And that implies that the force would become infinite at plank length!
That's just ridiculous. The Plank Length is not zero, you know.

@mitrasoumya you really need to study some basics and not make statements that you can't back up.

From a simple Occam's Razor perspective, one should first assume the laws apply at all scales. Because otherwise you might as well start checking whether gravity works behind your house.

Likes TheOldFart, Drakkith and sophiecentaur
phinds said:
The Plank Length is not zero.
It is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000016 m

So?

mitrasoumya said:
It is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000016 m
And yet you treated it like zero. Do you not see the contradiction?

No, nothing is observable at this scale, but some physicists think that gravity could be significant at the Planck scale, giving rise to fluctuations and possibly wormholes. There have been many attempts to understand what physics may be going on here, something I have taken interest in investigating myself.

For instance, there is possible a non-trivial relationship called a spacetime uncertainty in natural units c=1

[tex]\Delta x \Delta t \geq \ell^2_P[/tex]

This is a non-commutation relationship between space and time - and while it is written like a spacetime uncertainty, it's actually just a reinterpretation of the length in which it takes to scatter particles.

[tex]\Delta x \approx \frac{1}{\Delta p}[/tex]

Both quantum loop gravity and string theory predicts the relationship. The length on the right hand side of the inequality, refers to Planck spacetime.

1. What is the Planck length?

The Planck length is a fundamental unit of length in the study of quantum mechanics. It is defined as the distance at which quantum effects of gravity become significant.

2. Does gravity operate at the Planck length?

There is currently no conclusive proof that gravity operates at the Planck length. The laws of general relativity, which describe gravity at large scales, break down at the Planck length. Some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, propose that gravity does operate at this scale, but this has not been confirmed.

3. What evidence is there for gravity at the Planck length?

Currently, there is no empirical evidence to support the existence of gravity at the Planck length. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that gravity does operate at this scale, but these theories have not been proven yet.

4. How can we test gravity at the Planck length?

Testing gravity at the Planck length is a challenge because it requires extremely high energies and small distances. Some proposals involve using particle accelerators and studying the effects of extremely high energy collisions. Another approach is to study the effects of gravity on particles at very small scales, such as in the behavior of black holes.

5. Why is it important to understand gravity at the Planck length?

Studying gravity at the Planck length is essential for a complete understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. It could also help reconcile the differences between general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are currently two separate and conflicting theories. Additionally, understanding gravity at the Planck length could provide insights into the nature of the universe and the behavior of black holes.