Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there any way that I can run winXP with Analog Goldstar monitor(approx11 years old

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    MY config is
    Intel P4 1.5 Ghz
    256 MB RAM

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not obvious to me why that shouldn't be possible. Is there something special about an "Analog Goldstar monitor"?
    Can your monitor be connected to your video card?

4. Feb 25, 2007 #3
    You can try looking for an adapter so that it can connect to your video card. If you can get the POST screen (Bios) to come up, then you get WinXP to work.

The other day I saw a refurbished 17" VGA CRT for only 30$.

5. Feb 25, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Unless it is an especially bad monitor, you shouldn't have a problem. People were running 1024x768 at 16bits 10 years ago and that's what you need for XP.

6. Feb 25, 2007 #5
    yup, that what I thought initially, why XP wont run on Analog Monitor contrary to what my vendor told me, I think he wanted to screw me.

I changed to VGA mode in BIOS and its running perfectly with 32bit resolution(800X600). I think my monitor is quite old by age but quite young in the nature of output work :smile::smile:

7. Feb 26, 2007 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Though most new monitors are digital, there are lots and lots of analog monitors out there and most video cards today still come with dvi to vga adapters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?