Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there anybody here that can stand AOL?

1. May 23, 2013 #1

turbo

Gold Member

AOL's "editorial" staff seemingly has been replaced by morons. Instead of "try to" used in a normal configuration, their standard is now "try and".

This is the same crew that contaminates Huffington with stupid crap like "nip-slip", "wardrobe malfunction", "baby-bump", "side-boob", and other euphemisms to justify their loading HP with images that are meant only to generate page-hits.

Those bimbos can only last as long as their looks do, so the photos are expected. It is probably possible for AOL to come up with some relevant content, though it seems like they are not motivated to do so.

Sorry for the rant. HP used to be a fine place to get news agglomerated from US and foreign sources. No longer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 23, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

LOL "nip-slip" and "side-boob". Aw c'mon turbo these are the things that make news worth reading ;)

4. May 23, 2013 #3
    I had ignored correct English use/usage for really long before I did have a chance to understand how hard writing skill actually was.

5. May 23, 2013 #4
    I guese their moto is "Try and try and try and tryr and ..... "

6. May 23, 2013 #5
    AOL? I thought they went out in the 90's sometime :confused:

7. May 23, 2013 #6
    Huffington Post really went down hill after the sale. It's tragic.

8. May 23, 2013 #7
    The pseudo-ISP type thing did...(Though in around 1999 or 2000. I remember, though I was only five), although something like 2 percent (maybe lower) of all people with internet access still used it as of August last year, and I'm 100% certain that all the AOL email addresses still work (as my dad occasionally uses it for spam and miscellaneous stuff), as well as AOL.com

So AOL is like that roach you've sprayed with raid and it's still upside-down slowly moving its legs. It's death is certain, but as long as you stay in the room with it you won't see it die.

9. May 23, 2013 #8

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ahh, it took me awhile to realize what you meant by that post. But now I get it. The Huffington Post was acquired by AOL.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/07/aol-huffington-post_n_819375.html

I have a long time grudge against AOL mostly for the following reasons.

Circa 1996, AOL started an advertising campaign that seemed, to me anyway, to intentionally blur the distinction between AOL's unique services and the Internet in general. The advertisements seemed to subtly hint that the entire Internet was just a part of AOL, and not the other way around.

Imagine for a moment that you didn't know what the Internet was, nor did you know what AOL was. (And realize that at the time, the majority of people did not really know what either was.) Can you make the distinction of which is which based on this 1996 commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpKb7F7kQnI

I was an Internet user years before there was AOL and potentially misleading commercials like that infuriated me.

[Edit: I remember some troll around 1996-1997, posting on Usenet News no less, saying, "Oh yeah, well I'm going to complain to AOL and get you kicked off the Internet."]

And let's not forget all the coasters (installation CDs) that would come in the snail mail every other day.

--------------

I would have respected AOL had they instead continued to use their 1995 marketing strategy. This commercial is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx1qlRRtCgs

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  10. May 23, 2013 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Turbo, I'm a fellow grammar Nazi and this kind of thing really makes me grit my teeth but as nearly as I can tell this is not a losing battle, it is a battle that is already lost. For example, even many college English professors can no longer make proper use of simple pronouns, to say nothing of the kids they graduate.

11. May 23, 2013 #10
    I'm a sucker for nipple slip, wardrobe malfunction, baby-bump, side-boob, cleavage show, panty line etc. I eagerly await some of those daily, as they fill my mental void with delight and take me on a journey of euphoria. :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

I think they understand my needs and provide me with what I crave for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook