Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there anyway to increase the proton of an element? Just asking out of curiousity

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    As stated in the title. Is it possible?
    Say for example, if I have an Oxygen Atom.
    Is there anyway I can add in another proton to this Oxygen atom such that i can change it to some other element?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Is there anyway to increase the proton of an element? Just asking out of curiousi

What you are describing is nuclear fusion and yes it is possible....just not for an individual. I'm not sure if it has been tried by scientists with oxygen, but it happens in stars (that's where large atoms come from).

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    Re: Is there anyway to increase the proton of an element? Just asking out of curiousi

hmm...Thanks...
    Ill go do more study on nuclear fussion then..=D

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you are looking for is called nuclear transmutation.

Not for oxygen, since there is no stable isotope of F with 8 neutrons.

6. Feb 10, 2010 #5

Why should that be a problem - there is more than one isotope of oxygen too.

7. Feb 10, 2010 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True. I assumed the OP was referring to the most abundant one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook