Least Physics Required: Choosing the Right Engineering Program for You

• Thread starter Mika-Yugo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the three engineering programs mentioned (Electrical, Industrial, and Mechanical) all require a strong foundation in physics. However, the level of physics required may vary depending on the specific focus or specialization within the program. It is important to have a good professor and utilize resources such as tutors to fully understand and excel in the subject matter. Additionally, physics is not simply just math, as there is an experimental side to it.
Mika-Yugo
Could someone tell me which engineering program requires least physics?

1. Electrical

2. Industrial

3. Mechanical

Engineering news on Phys.org
Industrial

all three require physics, least is incorrect

when you speak in general, least or most stand for nothing

Mika-Yugo said:
Could someone tell me which engineering program requires least physics?

1. Electrical

2. Industrial

3. Mechanical

It depends on what country are you referring to. Here, an Industrial Engineer (I am studying this program) is the same that an Electrical Engineer or Mechanical Engineer. All these branches belong to Industrial Engineering. Later, after two or three years, you get specialized in one of these topics: Mechanics, Electricity, Electronics, Materials, Energy, Organzation.

So that, between Electrical and Mechanical engineering (as I know them here), I would say that both of them requires a large effort in physics:

-Electricity: you should deal with Electromagnetic and Circuits Theory. It requires a lot physics and calculation skills. But perhaps, the formulae is easier than other parts of the physics engineering.

-Mechanics: A good mechanical engineer/student must know about resistance of materials and elasticity. Both of them are heavily charged with formulation, although they are used as integral expressions (i.e Navier-Bresse equations).

In my case, I am specialized in Energy, although I think it would be englobed into some part between the mechanical and aerospace programs in USA. This discipline is the heaviest charged one in engineering. I have to deal with partial differential equations every time, and concepts of fluids and heat must be very solid in your head.

Physics is really just math anyways. Its more like a study of how to apply math to real life problems.

In my physics classes I learned far more about calculus than in the calculus classes themselves. It was really unfortunate that the physics professor needed to spend his time (that he graciously donated in the student center 3 evenings a week) to teach calculus so we could compete his class but he did an awesome job. Had I been able to take his two classes before the real calculus classes then they would have been an absolute breeze.

Now Quantum Physics is different because...well I'm still lost once it goes past the 2-slit interference patterns...but it is a pretty specialized field that wouldn't be needed for most engineering aside from a science credit.

With a good professor and decent textbook any subject is easy enough to master as a good student. The problem is in professors (sometimes obsessed with research) who don't realize the shortcomings of their textbooks or related classes and the tacit assumptions that go with it. At the school I went to it was very frustrating, without a visit to the professor outside class to clear up 1 or 2 assumptions the brightest 6-8 of us felt like idiots for not being able to solve some of the homework at all. Then all we could do is become angry at the text for being terse and making those assumptions that would keep us working on simple problems for hours to no end.

With a good professor and modest notes from class any subject should be easy enough to apply yourself to and master well enough. If not, a good tutor would be easily worth the money to ensure you learn what's presented and get good marks. I never joined one but ended up hanging around a couple fraternities just to chat with the previous years students to clear up the assumptions made in the textbooks, cheap tutoring and something they did as part of their community.

Some science classes will likely be part of any degree program. With the right attitude and willingness to seek the answers you should have no issues passing anything with high marks. My advice is to be willing to examine the underlying assumption that the textbook and professor are the sole answer to the subject matter. When instead sometimes a different perspective from a different teacher or textbook is incredibly valuable to learning something well.

[soapbox mode off]

Cliff

Cliff_J said:
Physics is really just math anyways.

It most certainly is not. There is no experimental side to mathematics.

Tom Mattson said:
It most certainly is not. There is no experimental side to mathematics.
I guess that depends on whether you would count Theoretical Mathematics or stick to discrete.

DirtyDan said:
I guess that depends on whether you would count Theoretical Mathematics or stick to discrete.

I don't follow your dichotomy of theoretical mechanics vs. discrete ("discrete" what, by the way?), but my comment refers to the fact that mathematical truths follow from axioms and definitions. All checks for validity are internal; there needn't be any checks with the outside world. That's why mathematics is not science.

1. What is the importance of considering the level of physics required in an engineering program?

The level of physics required in an engineering program is important because it can greatly impact your academic experience and career trajectory. If you are not comfortable with physics or do not excel in the subject, choosing a program with a high level of physics may lead to academic struggles and potentially limit your job opportunities in the future.

2. How can I determine the level of physics required in an engineering program?

You can determine the level of physics required in an engineering program by researching the curriculum and course requirements. Most universities and colleges have detailed information about their engineering programs on their websites, including the specific physics courses that are required for each major.

3. Are there any engineering programs that require little to no physics?

Yes, there are some engineering programs that require little to no physics. These programs may focus more on other areas of engineering, such as computer science or environmental engineering, and may have a lighter physics course load. However, it is important to note that even these programs may still have some level of physics requirements.

4. Can I still be successful in an engineering career if I struggle with physics?

Yes, you can still be successful in an engineering career even if you struggle with physics. While a strong understanding of physics can be beneficial in many engineering fields, it is not the only skill that is necessary for success. There are many other important skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication, that are also essential for engineers.

5. Is the level of physics required in an engineering program indicative of its difficulty?

Not necessarily. The level of physics required in an engineering program may vary depending on the specific focus or specialty of the program. Some programs may have a heavier emphasis on physics, while others may focus more on other subjects. It is important to consider your own strengths and interests when choosing an engineering program, rather than solely basing your decision on the level of physics required.