Can I be Expressed in Terms of J and K for Arbitrary f,g,h?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a function with three parts, represented by I, J, and K. It is noted that it is not possible to express I in terms of J and K, even with the assumption that each individual function is easy to differentiate or integrate. This is demonstrated by setting f=1 and using integration by parts.
natski
Hi, I have been thinking recently about integrating something with 3 parts such as:

[tex]I=\int_{0}^{\infty}f(x)\ast g(x)\ast h(x)\ast dx[/tex]

If I is an unknown that we are trying to find and we know what J and K are where:

[tex]J=\int_{0}^{\infty}f(x)\ast g(x)\ast dx[/tex]

and

[tex]K=\int_{0}^{\infty}f(x)\ast h(x)\ast dx[/tex]

Is there enough information to find I? (Note how we cannot get rid of or change the limits).

Natski

Physics news on Phys.org
assume...

Just to add, we assume that each function is easy to differentiate or integrate by itself but the three functions multiplies is too difficult.

Natski

If your question is, can you express I in terms of J and K for arbitrary f,g,h, the answer is no. One easy was to see this is by letting f=1. You can still integrate by parts if you use something like u=f(x)g(x), du=h(x)dx.

1. Is there enough information to support the hypothesis?

This question is often asked during the early stages of a scientific study or experiment. The answer will depend on the specific research question and the amount of data that has been collected. It is important to thoroughly analyze and interpret the data before determining if there is enough information to support the hypothesis.

2. How do you know if there is enough information?

The determination of whether there is enough information will depend on the specific research question and the type of data being collected. In general, having a sufficient sample size and a diverse range of data points can increase the likelihood of having enough information to draw conclusions.

3. Can additional information be gathered to support the findings?

In some cases, there may not be enough information to fully support the findings of a study or experiment. In this situation, it may be beneficial to gather additional information through further research or experiments. This can help to strengthen the validity of the findings and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the topic.

4. What are the consequences of not having enough information?

Not having enough information can lead to inaccurate or incomplete conclusions. This can undermine the validity of the study and potentially impact future research in the field. It is important to thoroughly evaluate the amount of information available before drawing conclusions.

5. How do you communicate the level of information available?

As a scientist, it is important to clearly communicate the level of information available in your study or experiment. This can be done through statistical analysis and reporting the confidence level or margin of error. It is also important to acknowledge any limitations or gaps in the information and discuss potential implications on the findings.