Particle Lifetime in Gravity: Experimental Evidence?

In summary, the concept of particle lifetimes increasing in gravitational heavier areas has been suggested by relativity, but there is little experimental evidence to support it. The only example is with muons at rest, which have a decay time of a little over two microseconds, but this has been extended by a large factor in moving muons due to special relativity. There are no experiments showing differences in particle lifetimes in different gravitational potentials, but there are experiments showing gravitational time dilation by other means. There is no well-defined or commonly accepted term for gravitational length contraction, and it is unclear if it is predicted or can be tested.
Xilor
Hello, I was wondering if the particle lifetimes as measured by observers increases in gravitational heavier areas. Relativity seems to suggest this, and there seems to be little criticism of this concept but I couldn't find any experimental evidence supporting this. Has this ever been shown? Or are the differences simply too small?

Physics news on Phys.org

Xilor said:
Hello, I was wondering if the particle lifetimes as measured by observers increases in gravitational heavier areas. Relativity seems to suggest this, and there seems to be little criticism of this concept but I couldn't find any experimental evidence supporting this. Has this ever been shown? Or are the differences simply too small?

It has been shown with the muon, which at rest has a decay time of a little over two microseconds. This was extended by a large factor, four or something like that.

PatrickPowers said:
It has been shown with the muon, which at rest has a decay time of a little over two microseconds. This was extended by a large factor, four or something like that.

As far as I'm aware this has only been concluded based on the difference in time dillations from special relativity between moving muons and muons at rest. Not a difference due to gravitational time dilation as predicted by general relativity.

I don't remember reading of any experiments that show different particle lifetimes in different gravitational potentials, but there are experiments that show gravitational time dilation by other means, e.g. the classic Pound-Rebka experiment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound–Rebka_experiment

Alright, thank you. What about gravitational length contraction? Has that been tested directly somehow? Or has it just been derived from c being the same for observers within different areas of gravitational potential?

I don't think that gravitational length contraction is even a well-defined or commonly-accepted term.

DaleSpam said:
I don't think that gravitational length contraction is even a well-defined or commonly-accepted term.

Well that would then explain why that never made made too much sense to me.. Is there anything that can be said about it, what it actually means and if it's predicted? I assumed it would be some side effect of the warping of spacetime, as warps occur increasing the lengths of paths, so would apparent lengths of objects contract because their sizes as compared to distances within the area are smaller.

Xilor said:
Is there anything that can be said about it, what it actually means and if it's predicted?
Well, what it actually means (or in other words, a definition of gravitational length contraction) would have to be the first step. Once it was defined clearly then you could check if it were predicted and propose experiments to test it. I don't know of any rigorous definition.

1. What is the definition of particle lifetime in gravity?

Particle lifetime in gravity refers to the amount of time a particle, such as a subatomic particle or an atom, exists before decaying or interacting with other particles due to the effects of gravity.

2. How does gravity affect the lifetime of particles?

Gravity can affect the lifetime of particles in two main ways. First, it can cause particles to interact with each other, which can lead to decay or annihilation. Second, gravity can also cause particles to experience time dilation, which can affect their observed lifetime.

3. What experimental evidence supports the concept of particle lifetime in gravity?

One of the most significant pieces of experimental evidence is the observation of cosmic rays, which are high-energy particles that constantly bombard the Earth's atmosphere. These particles have been found to have a shorter lifetime than particles created in controlled laboratory experiments, indicating the effects of gravity on their decay.

4. Can particle lifetime in gravity be measured directly in experiments?

No, particle lifetime in gravity cannot be measured directly as it is affected by many other factors. However, scientists can study the decay rates of particles in different gravitational environments and compare them to theoretical predictions to indirectly determine the effects of gravity on particle lifetime.

5. How does the concept of particle lifetime in gravity relate to the theory of general relativity?

The theory of general relativity, which describes the effects of gravity on the fabric of space-time, provides the framework for understanding how gravity affects the lifetime of particles. It explains how the curvature of space-time can influence the motion and interactions of particles, ultimately leading to differences in their observed lifetimes.