Do Macrophages Have Both MHC I and MHC II Molecules on Their Surface?

• Thread starter jayadds
  • Start date
In summary, MHC I (Major Histocompatibility Complex I) is a group of proteins found on the surface of most cells in the body and plays a crucial role on macrophages in identifying and presenting foreign substances to the immune system. It is constantly being produced and replaced on macrophages, with different types determined by genetic variations. The presence of MHC I is essential for proper immune function, and its expression can be influenced by various factors, potentially leading to disorders.
jayadds
Hi all,

I was just wondering, are there MHC I molecules on the surface of a macrophage? According to my textbook, this is the rule:

All nucleated cells have MHC I
Dendritic cells, macrophages and B cells have MHC II

Can macrophage be considered as a nucleated cell? If so, does that mean a macrophage has both MHC I and II molecules on its surface?

Many thanks,
Jay

Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, macrophages (and other Antigen Presenting Cells) have MHC I in addition to MHC II.

1. What is MHC I and what is its role on macrophages?

MHC I (Major Histocompatibility Complex I) is a group of proteins found on the surface of most cells in the body. On macrophages, MHC I plays a crucial role in identifying and presenting foreign substances, such as bacteria or viruses, to the immune system.

2. How is MHC I expressed on macrophages?

MHC I is expressed on the surface of macrophages through a complex process of protein synthesis and folding. It is constantly being produced and replaced as old proteins are degraded.

3. Are there different types of MHC I on macrophages?

Yes, there are different types of MHC I proteins on macrophages, which are determined by genetic variations. This allows for a diverse range of potential antigens to be recognized and presented to the immune system.

4. How does the presence or absence of MHC I on macrophages affect the immune response?

The presence of MHC I on macrophages is essential for proper immune function. Without it, the immune system would not be able to recognize and respond to foreign substances, making the body more susceptible to infections and diseases.

5. Can MHC I on macrophages be manipulated or altered?

Yes, MHC I expression on macrophages can be influenced by various factors, such as cytokines or viruses. This can affect the immune response and potentially lead to disorders like autoimmune diseases or immunodeficiency.