Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there nothing in this house to eat?

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1

Gold Member

I'm sure you've all been in the situation- lunch time comes around, your're hungry, you check the cupboards, the fridge, freezer, and there doesn't seem to be anything half decent to eat.
    My question is this: when faced with that situation, what are the best, worst and strangest improvised 'meals' you've managed to cook up from what lurks in the back of the pantry?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2
    romainian noddles (i think i spelled it right)(the nodles that cook in three minutes with a pack of seasoning)

they take a little more time than warming something up in a microwave, but you only need ot wash one pot, a spoon and a bowl.

they'er great if you have a cold also
  4. Apr 13, 2005 #3
    Spaghetti sauce with those japanese 3-minute cooking ramen noodles. It wasn't bad.. except for the fact that the noodles were mushy and the sauce was bland.
  5. Apr 13, 2005 #4
    Frito sandwich, spaghetti sandwich, greenbean sandwich...OMG, I eat too much bread. At least the bread I eat has bark in it.
  6. Apr 13, 2005 #5
    The spaghetti taco wasn't as good as I thought it would be. :blushing:
  7. Apr 13, 2005 #6
    Put on some ragged clothes, grab a can/cup and go outside and beg for a while. Soon you will have enough for lunch and dinner at wendys :smile:
  8. Apr 13, 2005 #7
    If you were in my minionary you would be castrated for such inefficiency. Eat out of the pot, save the bowl.
  9. Apr 13, 2005 #8
    This has happened to me numerous occasions.

The best sollution is...if you can drive, go get some food! If you can't, get one of your parents to go get some food! ANNOY THE CRAP OUTTA THEM!
  10. Apr 13, 2005 #9
    White rice and ketchup I was extremly poor at the time.
  11. Apr 13, 2005 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think those are "Ramen" noodles (or were you joking?). And if you are really hungry, why bother cooking them? ("Rawmen noodles")
  12. Apr 13, 2005 #11
    I once put a chocolate bar into a bread which was way over its 'best until' date.

Still tasted quite nice.. :rolleyes: :yuck:
  13. Apr 13, 2005 #12

Gold Member

There's always food in my house, and lots of it. If worst came to worst, I could saw a chunk off of that 26-year-old moose in my freezer. If I'm hungry but don't really feel like eating (tired, stressed, etc.), I like 2 cans of tuna mixed with a can of Smurfagetti, seasoned with lots of cumin and onion powder. (Zoodles are okay, too.) The sauce moisturizes the tuna enough that it's easier to eat than usual.
  14. Apr 13, 2005 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL! I was going to say the same thing when I read that! :rofl:

Almost anything can be mixed with rice or pasta, including any random condiment packages you have lying around (ketchup, mayo, mustard, soy sauce; any two out of those four can be combined as well, but I don't recommend combining three or more). Tuna can be eaten straight from the can if there's nothing else, as can pretty much any canned vegetable.
  15. Apr 13, 2005 #14

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spam Fried Rice.
  16. Apr 13, 2005 #15

Gold Member

You never cease to disgust me. :yuck:

I'd rather eat the moose....
  17. Apr 13, 2005 #16

My problem the food is there I just have to make it, that's where ramen noodles are nice. When feeling lazy you just eat them raw.
  18. Apr 13, 2005 #17
    The worst thing I've eaten, when there has been nothing else to eat, has got to be artificial crab meat... I almost puked after the 5th bite. :yuck: (yeah, i dont know why continued eating it after the first bite)
  19. Apr 13, 2005 #18

Science Advisor

I like to add some spray-on margarine to my raw ramen noodles, at least it feels more like "cooking" that way.
  20. Apr 13, 2005 #19

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sadly, I actually like that stuff. As long as you realize it's not going to taste like crab, it's pretty good. But you have to dip it in melted butter, or else make a salad out of it.

Raw ramen noodles is going a bit too far for me though! If I'm so lazy I can't be bothered to cook noodles for 3 minutes, it's time to call for something to be delivered. Though, if you buy the fresh angel hair pasta (the stuff that's in a refrigerated case in the pasta aisle), that only takes about a minute to cook, and tastes way better than Ramen (you can freeze it if you want to stock up). But, of course it's far more expensive. You really can't beat 25 cents for a meal.
  21. Apr 13, 2005 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Once when I was young and really poor [just got my first apartment], I lived on tomato sandwiches for a week.

Glass of orange juice with two raw eggs and tobasco, well mixed. I got the idea from Rocky I. :biggrin:

In fact, I ended up drinking one of these each day before I worked out, for quite a long time. Back then no one [the average person at least] seemed to think that raw eggs were bad. Many health nuts considered them to be a good thing to eat!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?