Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there some sort of calculus relationship between these two kinematics equations?

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1
    [tex]{ y }_{ f }={ y }_{ i }+{ v }_{ yi }t+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } { a }_{ y }{ t }^{ 2 }\\ { v }_{ yf }={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

It almost looks like the second equation is the derivative of the first equation with respect to time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2012 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Is there some sort of calculus relationship between these two kinematics equation

Exactly. The velocity of an object is simply the time-derivative of its position function.

4. Dec 25, 2012 #3
    Re: Is there some sort of calculus relationship between these two kinematics equation

Maybe I'm incredibly rusty on my calculus, but isn't the time-derivative of the first equation the following?

[tex]0={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

5. Dec 25, 2012 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

##v_{yf}## isn't a constant, it's a variable, more specifically the dependent variable, a function of t. Written as functions, your two equations are

$$y(t) = y_i + v_{yi} t + \frac{1}{2}a_y t^2 \\ v_y(t) = v_{yi} + a_y t$$

6. Dec 25, 2012 #5

Thank you!

7. Dec 25, 2012 #6

Any way I can derive the below equation from the position and velocity equations?

[tex]{ { v }_{ yf } }^{ 2 }={ { v }_{ yi } }^{ 2 }+2{ a }_{ y }({ y }_{ f }-{ y }_{ i })[/tex]

Edit: Never mind. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=660863

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?