Is there some sort of calculus relationship between these two kinematics equations?

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

[tex]{ y }_{ f }={ y }_{ i }+{ v }_{ yi }t+\frac { 1 }{ 2 } { a }_{ y }{ t }^{ 2 }\\ { v }_{ yf }={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

It almost looks like the second equation is the derivative of the first equation with respect to time.

Answers and Replies

Pengwuino
Gold Member

Exactly. The velocity of an object is simply the time-derivative of its position function.

Exactly. The velocity of an object is simply the time-derivative of its position function.
Maybe I'm incredibly rusty on my calculus, but isn't the time-derivative of the first equation the following?

[tex]0={ v }_{ yi }+{ a }_{ y }t[/tex]

jtbell
Mentor

##v_{yf}## isn't a constant, it's a variable, more specifically the dependent variable, a function of t. Written as functions, your two equations are

$$y(t) = y_i + v_{yi} t + \frac{1}{2}a_y t^2 \\ v_y(t) = v_{yi} + a_y t$$

##v_{yf}## isn't a constant, it's a variable, more specifically the dependent variable, a function of t. Written as functions, your two equations are

$$y(t) = y_i + v_{yi} t + \frac{1}{2}a_y t^2$$

$$v_y(t) = v_{yi} + a_y t$$
Thank you!

Last edited: