Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there such a material?

1. Mar 21, 2005 #1
    Does a material exist which can allow air to pass through it, but does not allow water to?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, - I am dumb myself at this stuff!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm wearing a "Dockers" trousers. Did you ever heard about them? They repel water by means of surface tension considerations, but let the air pass trough it.
  4. Mar 21, 2005 #3
    Nope , never heard of them! Please explain how they work!
  5. Mar 21, 2005 #4
    Teflon coated materials dont allow water to pass threw... But do alow gasses. Dont quite rember how they work :grumpy:
  6. Mar 22, 2005 #5
    'Goretex' is gas-permeable (including air and water vapour) but will stop liquid droplets (including water droplets).

7. Mar 22, 2005 #6

Science Advisor

There are materials used in the pertroleum clean up business that allow air and certain petroluem products to be absorbed but repel water as well.
  8. Mar 23, 2005 #7

Staff: Mentor

9. Mar 23, 2005 #8
    I remember a funnel / filter for removing water from camping fuel. It had a filter made of felt. I think air goes through felt, but I don't know if this will work without the camping fuel.
  10. Mar 27, 2005 #9

Some designer materials allow perspiration in the form of water vapor molecules to permeate while keeping droplets of water out by way of extremely small pores in the material. As was mentioned above, this is possible due to surface tension.

A material like this can be considered water-proof and breathable. I would assume that's how the docker's pants work, but I may be mistaken in that assumption.
  11. Apr 2, 2005 #10
    i haven't actually looked but...

search for gore tex or dockers or teflon or waterproofing...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?