Is There a Material That Allows Air to Pass Through But Not Water?

• Thread starter larry_emder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary: SequenceIn summary, a material exists which can allow air to pass through it, but does not allow water to. The material is called 'Goretex', and it is used in the petroleum clean up business.
larry_emder
Does a material exist which can allow air to pass through it, but does not allow water to?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, - I am dumb myself at this stuff!

Engineering news on Phys.org
larry_emder said:
Does a material exist which can allow air to pass through it, but does not allow water to?

I'm wearing a "Dockers" trousers. Did you ever heard about them? They repel water by means of surface tension considerations, but let the air pass trough it.

Nope , never heard of them! Please explain how they work!

Teflon coated materials don't allow water to pass threw... But do alow gasses. Dont quite rember how they work :grumpy:

larry_emder said:

'Goretex' is gas-permeable (including air and water vapour) but will stop liquid droplets (including water droplets).

http://www.gore.com

There are materials used in the pertroleum clean up business that allow air and certain petroluem products to be absorbed but repel water as well.

I remember a funnel / filter for removing water from camping fuel. It had a filter made of felt. I think air goes through felt, but I don't know if this will work without the camping fuel.

Waterproofing

Some designer materials allow perspiration in the form of water vapor molecules to permeate while keeping droplets of water out by way of extremely small pores in the material. As was mentioned above, this is possible due to surface tension.

A material like this can be considered water-proof and breathable. I would assume that's how the docker's pants work, but I may be mistaken in that assumption.

i haven't actually looked but...

www.howstuffworks.com

search for gore tex or dockers or teflon or waterproofing...

Fibonacci

1. Is there a material that is completely indestructible?

No, there is currently no material that is completely indestructible. All materials have their breaking point under extreme conditions.

2. Can a material be both flexible and strong?

Yes, there are materials that possess both flexibility and strength. One example is carbon nanotubes, which have a tensile strength 100 times greater than steel and are also highly flexible.

3. Is it possible for a material to have unique or unusual properties?

Yes, there are materials with unique and unusual properties, such as shape-memory alloys that can return to their original shape after being deformed, or superhydrophobic materials that repel water.

4. Can a material have multiple functions or purposes?

Yes, there are materials that have multiple functions and purposes. For example, aerogel is not only an incredibly lightweight material, but it also has high thermal insulation properties.

5. Is there a material that is environmentally friendly and sustainable?

Yes, there are materials that are environmentally friendly and sustainable. Examples include bioplastics made from renewable resources and bamboo, which is a highly renewable and versatile material.