1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a false color image?

1. Nov 21, 2004 #1

DB

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2004 #2

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like it was taken through a Hydrogen-alpha filter.

4. Nov 21, 2004 #3

DB

So it's color is assigned to the emission of waveleghts? Hydrogen-Alpha wavelenghts?

5. Nov 22, 2004 #4

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure. I've seen different color suns through hydrogen-alpha filters. Wish I could afford one :smile:

6. Nov 22, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Regardless of the type of filter, it will be just a picture of a bright light unless the exposure time and amount of light gathered are controlled correctly. I have taken a few photos of the sun using a fast camera setting and a telescope with a dime-sized hole in the lens cap. A better way is with a filter that simply reduces the amount of light let through.

7. Nov 24, 2004 #6

Nereid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's likely a HeII image, taken by SOHO's Extreme Ultraviolet Imaging Telescope (example: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/solar/eit_sl_304.jpg). If so, then it's definitely a filter (centred at 30.4 nm). The colours are false; IIRC, the technique is to choose two colours (plus black and white) and an intensity histogram - min intensity = black, max intensity = white, low intensity = dark red (for example), high intensity = pale yellow. I don't know how to create this in Photoshop, but it's quite simple to do in many other image processing apps.

8. Nov 24, 2004 #7

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm. I'd go with Nereid on this. It looks a lot more like SOHO photos than H-alpha photos I've seen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?