Is the Series 2,3,5,8,13,21 a Fibonacci Sequence?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the series of numbers 2,3,5,8,13,21 ... can be considered a Fibonacci sequence. Some argue that it does not start with 1, as commonly defined, but others argue that it still fulfills the explicit formula. The key lies in the definition and purpose of the sequence, as well as the initial values chosen. Some suggest using generalized Fibonacci sequences to encompass all possible sequences. Ultimately, it depends on the author and their specific goal.
Ling Min Hao
Is the series of numbers 2,3,5,8,13,21 ... a fibronacci sequence ? Because it doesn't start with 1 , but it fulfills the explicit formula .

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ling Min Hao said:
Is the series of numbers 2,3,5,8,13,21 ... a fibronacci sequence ? Because it doesn't start with 1 , but it fulfills the explicit formula .
How do you define a Fibonacci sequence?

PeroK said:
How do you define a Fibonacci sequence?
I don't know , but from wikipedia , it says Fibronacci starts from either 0,1 or 1,1 but is 2,3,5,8,13,21... a Fibronacci sequence it remains unknown for me ..

Ling Min Hao said:
I don't know , but from wikipedia , it says Fibonacci starts from either 0,1 or 1,1 but is 2,3,5,8,13,21... a Fibronacci sequence it remains unknown for me ..
I guess it depends on author and purpose whether only the classical sequence is meant or all possible. I looked up "generalized Fibonacci sequence" and found, e.g. http://www.maths.surrey.ac.uk/hosted-sites/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibGen.html

As so often the key lies in the question: What's your goal? Usually "a Fibonacci sequence" simply has to obey ##F_{n+1} = F_n + F_{n-1}##. Initial values result in different sequences. If someone speaks about "the Fibonacci sequence ##F_n##" he probably means the one starting with ##(0,1)##. Generalized ones should clearly by stated as such, which often can be recognized the way they define the initial values: ##(F_0,F_1)=(a_0,a_1)## indicates the usage of generalized ones. Formulas which contain ##F_n## without any further explanation probably refer to the classic sequence only.

Ling Min Hao said:
I don't know , but from wikipedia , it says Fibronacci starts from either 0,1 or 1,1 but is 2,3,5,8,13,21... a Fibronacci sequence it remains unknown for me ..
A question like this is entirely definition dependent. If you allow a Fibonacci sequence to have any two initial terms, then it is. If not, then it's not. Or, in this case, it is simply not the full sequence.

Likes mfb
If you apply prime numbers than it can be consider as a Fibonacci series. If you have any doubts to calculate Fibonacci series than you can visit Ashbox to use calculation tools.

1. What is a Fibronacci sequence?

A Fibronacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. The sequence starts with 0 and 1, and the subsequent numbers are calculated by adding the previous two numbers together (0+1=1, 1+1=2, 1+2=3, and so on).

2. How do you identify a Fibronacci sequence?

A Fibronacci sequence can be identified by looking for the pattern of adding the two previous numbers to get the next number. For example, in the sequence 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, each number is the sum of the previous two numbers (0+1=1, 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5, and so on).

3. What are the characteristics of a Fibronacci sequence?

A Fibronacci sequence has several characteristics, including:

• Starting with 0 and 1
  • Each subsequent number is the sum of the two previous numbers
  • As the sequence progresses, the ratio of two consecutive numbers gets closer to the golden ratio (approximately 1.618)

4. Are there any real-life applications of Fibronacci sequences?

Yes, Fibronacci sequences are found in nature, particularly in the patterns of growth and reproduction in plants and animals. They are also used in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and finance.

5. How can I generate a Fibronacci sequence?

A Fibronacci sequence can be generated by starting with 0 and 1, and then continuously adding the two previous numbers to get the next number. This can be done manually or using a computer program or calculator.