Is James Stewart's Calculus Text Worth the Investment?

In summary, there is a discussion about the effectiveness of James Stewart's 5th edition calculus text. Some individuals have found it helpful for engineering and science courses, while others feel it may not be rigorous enough for math majors. There are also mentions of different editions and versions of the book available.
Oomair
has anybody used James Stewart 5th edition calculus text? is it any good

Physics news on Phys.org
I liked it, but I'm not a math major. Let's just say, I learned enough about calculus from it to well in my engineering classes so far.

I know this book is used to teach undergrad. calc I at Columbia, and UC Berkeley for a few teachers, and I recently acquired it and will admit, it's a darn good book. Very straightforward and understandable.

I was a math major in college, and I would say that James Stewart is an excellent calculus book. The explanations are quite helpful, there are sufficiently many examples, and most importantly (to a physicist, anyway), there are plenty of pictures and other diagrams to illustrate calculus concepts.

Is Stewart good for someone majoring in math? Well, it focuses on concept rather than rigor, but I think this is a good thing, since math majors typically have a separate course to teach them how to do rigorous proofs. At such a basic level as calculus, rigor tends to obscure other important ideas, so I think this book is good for math majors and anyone else.

I used this book to teach myself Calc I and a little bit of Calc II.
But I'm currently in Calc II and I will admit I'm learning a lot of useful things that aren't taught in this book.

Like my teacher has spent a few days discussing some of the most common types of Integrals that are solved by Integration by Parts, which u/v to choose, etc..

But this book is verry good, if you can also get the solution manual, I found it really helpful in understanding a lot of problems that weren't covered in the text.

i liked stewarts 2nd edition best. after that he began to remove theory and generally water it down.

I liked it a lot when I used it for the my calculus sequence. I think its great for scientists and engineers, and not bad for math majors, since, as a previous poster pointed out, math majors usually (at least the ones at my university) have a separate course for proofs and rigor.

Calculus (ISBN: 053413212X)
Stewart, James
Bookseller: Mary Jane Books
(Albany, NY, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 5.00
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 4.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Brooks/Cole Pub Co, Florence, Kentucky, U.S.A., 1991. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Great. 2nd Edition. Great condition, no writing or highlighting. Bookseller Inventory # B005846Calculus: Second Edition
Stewart, James
Bookseller: Book Baron Anaheim
(Anaheim, CA, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 17.50
[Convert Currency]
US$ 4.50
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Brooks/Cole Publishing (1991), Pacific Grove, 1991. Book Condition: Good. 2nd Edition. Hardcover No DJ- glossy pictorial boards. Rubbing & chipping to board edges & corner tips. Minor reader's crease. Bookseller Inventory # 380509Calculus: Early Transcendentials
James Stewart
Bookseller: Lost Books
(Little Elm, TX, U.S.A.) Price: US$ 21.61
[Convert Currency]
US$ 4.00
[Rates & Speeds]
Book Description: Brooks/Cole Pub Co., 1991. Mass Market Paperback. Book Condition: good. 2nd (July 1991) edition. 0534138306. Bookseller Inventory # 053249it should have a violin or cello on the front cover.

1. What topics are covered in this calculus text?

This calculus text covers topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, differential equations, and multivariable calculus.

2. Is this calculus text suitable for beginners?

Yes, this calculus text is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basics of calculus and gradually progresses to more advanced topics.

3. Does this calculus text provide enough practice problems?

Yes, this calculus text provides an ample amount of practice problems for each topic, along with solutions and explanations.

4. Are there any real-world applications included in this calculus text?

Yes, this calculus text includes various real-world applications of calculus, such as optimization, related rates, and areas and volumes of solids.

5. Is this calculus text easy to understand?

This calculus text is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy to understand for students with a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry. It also includes helpful examples and illustrations to aid in comprehension.