Is this a good idea for a 21-credit semester?

In summary: Just curious, are credit hours interpreted there as in US, x credit hrs means that for every hr of class you need x hrs of study? If so, how do you find some 50hrs week of study plus some 10hrs of course per week? How many total hrs for the degree?In Thailand, credit hours are interpreted as "x credit hrs means that for every hr of class you need x hrs of study." To find the number of hours you would need to study per week, you would divide the number of credit hours you need by the number of hours in a week. For example, if you need 18 credit hours and a week has 30 hours, you would need to study 3 hours per day.
TechieDork
I'm freshly fininished my 2nd semester of a first year physics undergrad program

(A on every class excepts for chemistry because of some health issues that day)

And these are courses that I'm taking for my first semester of 2nd year.

***Gened Political Science 3 credits

Intro Bio Lecture 3 credits

Lab Bio 1 credit
Eng for Physics 1 credit
Scientific Method 1 credit

Mechanics 1 3 credits
Thermodynamics 1 3 credits
Maths for Physcs 1 3 credits

***Free elective : Linear Algebra 1 3 credits

I choose L.A. 1 as a free elective because I want to build my mathematical maturity for the upcoming Q.M. classes but this class in my UNI is well known for its rigour and high failing rates.

My current GPA lies between 3.5-3.7. I need to maintain >=3.25 for a scholarship program and I also have to publish 2 projects as well.

Is this a good idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Just don't take LA until next semester, you already have a math methods course which should be more than good enough.

Likes TechieDork
romsofia said:
No. Just don't take LA until next semester, you already have a math methods course which should be more than good enough.

This is the only class that fits my free elective schedule ,LOL

Why do you need to take 21 credits? Are you trying to finish your degree early?

I don't recommend 21 credits in 1 semester.

Likes CalcNerd and TechieDork
jtbell said:
Why do you need to take 21 credits? Are you trying to finish your degree early?

Because It's mandatory, 21-22 credits a semester is considered normal for a Bsc degree in my country.

Not only having to take 20+ credits a semester. there are mandatory extracurriculum activities hours one needed in order to graduate aswell.

The extracurries in my UNI are really time-consuming and stressful.

TechieDork said:
in my country
Aha. I assumed you were in the US, where a "normal" load is usually 15-16 credits per semester (5 x 3-credit courses), and more than 18 is an "overload."

Likes CalcNerd, romsofia and TechieDork
TechieDork said:
Because It's mandatory, 21-22 credits a semester is considered normal for a Bsc degree in my country.

Not only having to take 20+ credits a semester. there are mandatory extracurriculum activities hours one needed in order to graduate aswell.

The extracurries in my UNI are really time-consuming and stressful.
?
?

symbolipoint said:
?
?

Thailand

Just curious, are credit hours interpreted there as in US, x credit hrs means that for every hr of class you need x hrs of study? If so, how do you find some 50hrs week of study plus some 10hrs of course per week? How many total hrs for the degree?

Likes symbolipoint
My advice was also assuming you were in the USA, if 20-21 hours is normal, then it is normal. If i were in your shoes, maybe a course on differential equations would be more beneficial during this semester than a course on linear algebra, but both will be work, and if you can only fit linear algebra, well then... guess you have to take it?

Likes TechieDork
Moral of the story: If you are asking for advice, and especially if you're new here, describe all the "back story", especially where in the world you are. Otherwise, you'll get advises that do not apply to you, and we'll waste our time and effort giving you advises that do not apply to you.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Moral of the story: If you are asking for advice, and especially if you're new here, describe all the "back story", especially where in the world you are. Otherwise, you'll get advises that do not apply to you, and we'll waste our time and effort giving you advises that do not apply to you.

Zz.
I agree, but let's not hold our breaths, good chance s/he will never come back.

1. Is taking a 21-credit semester a good idea for my academic success?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as your academic strengths, time management skills, and personal commitments. If you are confident in your ability to handle a heavy course load and have a strong academic record, then a 21-credit semester may be a good idea. However, if you struggle with time management or have other commitments that may interfere with your studies, it may be best to consider a lighter course load.

2. Will taking a 21-credit semester affect my GPA?

Taking a 21-credit semester can potentially have an impact on your GPA. With a heavier course load, there is a higher chance of feeling overwhelmed and not performing as well in your classes. However, if you are able to manage your time effectively and maintain a strong work ethic, you may be able to excel in all your courses and maintain a high GPA.

3. How will taking a 21-credit semester affect my workload and stress levels?

A 21-credit semester can be a significant increase in workload compared to a typical 15-credit semester. It is important to consider your personal stress levels and how well you handle a heavy workload. If you are someone who thrives under pressure and can effectively manage your time, then a 21-credit semester may not be too overwhelming. However, if you tend to get easily stressed or have a lot of other commitments, it may be best to stick to a lighter course load.

4. Are there any benefits to taking a 21-credit semester?

One potential benefit of taking a 21-credit semester is that you may be able to graduate earlier or complete more credits in a shorter amount of time. This can be especially beneficial for students who are looking to enter the workforce or pursue further education sooner. Additionally, taking a heavier course load can also challenge you academically and potentially improve your time management and study skills.

5. What are some tips for successfully completing a 21-credit semester?

To successfully complete a 21-credit semester, it is important to prioritize your time and stay organized. Make a schedule and stick to it, setting aside dedicated time for studying and completing assignments. It is also important to communicate with your professors and seek help if needed. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout. Utilizing these tips can help you manage a heavy course load and successfully complete a 21-credit semester.