Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a good report title?

1. Feb 10, 2016 #1
    I'm writing a report on an experiment done with a Michelson interferometer, which was used to make a measurement of thin film thickness, mercury green line wavelength and the separation of spectral lines in sodium.

I'm told I can't just entitle it 'Michelson interferometer' as that gives too little information. But equally,

'Measurement of Mylar thin film thickness, mercury green line wavelength and the separation of spectral lines in sodium with a Michelson interferometer' seems ridiculously long...

Any suggestions for an alternative? :) I can't think of a shorter way to completely describe the experiment!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What's the key point of the experiment? The main outcome?

4. Feb 10, 2016 #3
    Well, the experimental objectives were all of the above, as well as demonstrating the accuracy of the Michelson interferometer. I don't know that one was more important than the others really... Which makes the title difficult. They all took the same amount of time, anyway!

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

So if there is no catching phrase and the measurements seem to have little to do with each other beside they are proceeded by the same instrument I suggest "Precise Measurements by a Michelson interferometer".

6. Feb 10, 2016 #5
    That is absolutely perfect! Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook