1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Topology Is this a good topology book?

1. Aug 10, 2015 #1
    Hello, I am trying to relearn Topology. I have already read through a good amount of Munkres' book, but I was thinking of going through another. I have come across "Elementary Topology: A Problem Textbook" http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/~olegviro/topoman/e-unstable.pdf by Viro and others through another thread. Is this a good book? How does this compare to other books such as Munkres, Kelley, Dugundji, and Willard in terms of the amount of material and level? I'd assume that a book that has you essentially work through topology would be a good analogue to a rigorous higher level book such as Kelley and Dugundji (I could be wrong of course). As a note, I won't mind if it doesn't have the best section on Algebraic Topology since I was planning on going through Hatcher's book afterwards. Thanks in advance for any response.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2015 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

it seems to be an excellent book, especially if you work through it as intended by its authors.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  4. Aug 10, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, the book is excellent. It's one of my favorite books on topology. It will definitely take a lot of time to get through it though.

5. Aug 10, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your replies! Well, I have lot's of time to go through with it, and it looks like it will be really fun to go through so I'm excited to get started on it. I wish there were more books that were structured like this that were of this quality and covered this much material for other subjects.

6. Aug 10, 2015 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  7. Aug 13, 2015 #6
    Ah, thanks! I really do like the idea of this. DO you know of any good ones for analysis? I have seen a few, but can't decide on which of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted