Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a good used Scope?

1. Dec 25, 2009 #1
    This will be my first telescope ever. I'm really looking for one with a good picture that that will view planets, moon, and some deep space clusters, galaxies, etc...

At first I was looking for a great quality scope that didn't necessarily have a tracking system but then I found this deal for a used scope for $150. I am also kind of nervous about the scope due to it being 4 years old. Does the optics get misaligned or the servos gone bad?

Is this scope worth it, the reviews seem great, and the price is high for a new one. Also, how accurate are the pictures of the moon and jupiter about a third of the way down the amazon link. Thanks for any help or advice.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/product.php?ProdID=528

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Nexstar-114GT-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B00004ZD38

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2009 #2

sas3

Gold Member

That looks like a nice scope for $150 if everything works and all the parts are included.
    Even if it is misaligned you should be able to correct that.
    The Pictures you see are just like all astro pictures and you should not expect to see things the way they are pictured.
    The Moon is the exception to this, you get moments of calm when the moon looks crisper than any picture (At least that’s been my experience).

4. Dec 26, 2009 #3
    It is quite sad that they are allowed to post pictures that are not acurate. The scope comes with a barlow lens and 3 other lens. Hopefully when I call him it is not already gone...

5. Dec 26, 2009 #4
    Hi bassplayer 142

Just a personal opinion here.
    The scope is probably worth $150 if everything is working properly.

If it is out of alignment, it can be corrected (collimated).

However, the pictures you mentioned, I looked at, and I have some problems with them from a being 114mm scope.

You may get a view of the lunar surface like that on a very good night. But The Jupiter capture I think is somewhat misleading.

I would be a nice starter scope, but don't expect to see galaxies more that slight nebulous objects or see any surface detail on planets.

I really don't want to discourage you. Just don't jet your hopes too high.

On the plus side though, this would be a good scope to spark any latent interest in astronomy you have.

If what you see through it make's you more curious then it is a good thing.

If it does not appeal to you, then you can resell the scope and have not lost much money.

I have know some people that have spent literally thousands of dollars on a scope only to resell them months after quite a monetary loss.

If you get it I hope it works well for you and increases your interest. :-)

6. Dec 26, 2009 #5
    Sadly the scope has already been sold so was a complete waste of time. I will keep my eyes open for a used one that has money directed towards optics and clarity. Besides, I personally would think learning the sky and constellations by myself would be part of the experience. I have been to a astronomy meeting and have seen pictures of planets. Thats mostly why I was skeptical about that Jupiter picture. Thanks for the input.

7. Dec 26, 2009 #6

turbo

Gold Member

It is a small-aperture 'scope, and at f/9, it is probably a spherical primary mirror. That's the easiest curve to figure, though it results in coma off-axis. If this is your very first 'scope, you might be happier with a larger-aperture Dobsonian with a better primary mirror. computers and automation might seem great, but they cost money that would be better spent on optics.

I would highly recommend that you sit on your wallet until you have found a local astronomy club and attended a meeting or two. Some amateurs are gear-hounds that buy, sell, and trade equipment often. You might find a nice used Dobsonian from someone in the club, and best of all, you'll get to give it a test-drive before you buy. A simple scope with good optics and a nice set of charts will help you find your way around the sky. Learning to identify constellations by star-hopping and using your charts will be entertaining if you truly have an interest in astronomy.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook