Is this a group homomorphism?

• Thread starter spacetimedude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary: On the left, + is addition in ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, and on the right, + is addition in ##D_n##. Similarly, ##\theta(g_1xg_2) = \theta(g_1) \times \theta(g_2)## uses * on the left, which is multiplication in ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, and on the right, uses ##\times##, which is multiplication in ##D_n##. So, to answer your question, yes, the operator can be different on the left and right side.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

[itex] ℤ_n → D_n [/itex] sending z modn → [itex]g^z[/itex] where g is rotation by an nth of a turn.

Homework Equations

Group homomorphism imply [itex] θ(g_1*g_2)=θ(g_1)*θ(g_2) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Before anything, I'd like to know if Group homomorphism imply [itex] θ(g_1+g_2)=θ(g_1)[/itex]x[itex]θ(g_2) [/itex] I've seen [itex] θ(g_1[/itex]x[itex]g_2)=θ(g_1)×θ(g_2) [/itex] and [itex] θ(g_1+g_2)=θ(g_1)+θ(g_2) [/itex] but not [itex] θ(g_1+g_2)=θ(g_1)[/itex]x[itex]θ(g_2) [/itex]. Can the operator * be different on the left and right side?

Attempt:
[itex] θ(z_1+z_2)[/itex]=g[itex]z_1+z_2 modn [/itex]
I'm not sure how to go from here. I'm sure I need to use the fact that [itex]g^n=e[/itex] but I don't know how to proceed.
Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

[itex] ℤ_n → D_n [/itex] sending z modn → [itex]g^z[/itex] where g is rotation by an nth of a turn.

What is ##D_n##? And what is a "turn" and an nth of a turn?

Homework Equations

Group homomorphism imply [itex] θ(g_1*g_2)=θ(g_1)*θ(g_2) [/itex]

Before anything, I'd like to know if Group homomorphism imply [itex] θ(g_1+g_2)=θ(g_1)[/itex]x[itex]θ(g_2) [/itex] I've seen [itex] θ(g_1[/itex]x[itex]g_2)=θ(g_1)×θ(g_2) [/itex] and [itex] θ(g_1+g_2)=θ(g_1)+θ(g_2) [/itex] but not [itex] θ(g_1+g_2)=θ(g_1)[/itex]x[itex]θ(g_2) [/itex]. Can the operator * be different on the left and right side?
Yes, they are usually different groups. Look up the definition of group homomorphism.

If you are having trouble with the intuition, you should try picking a value of n, say n=3 to start, and just explicitly write out every possible pair of elements in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_n[/itex] and how they add up and what they would get mapped to in [itex]D_n[/itex].

spacetimedude said:

Yes, the operations generally are different, even if you happen to use the same symbol for them. When you wrote ##\theta(g_1+g_2) = \theta(g_1)+\theta(g_2)##, the + on the lefthand side isn't the same as the + on the righthand side because ##g## and ##\theta(g)## are from two different sets.

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a group. In other words, it maps elements from one group to another in a way that respects the group's operation.

2. How do you determine if a function is a group homomorphism?

To determine if a function is a group homomorphism, you must check if it preserves the group's operation. This means that for any two elements a and b in the group, the function must satisfy the following property: f(a*b) = f(a)*f(b).

3. What is the difference between a group homomorphism and an isomorphism?

While both group homomorphisms and isomorphisms preserve the structure of a group, an isomorphism is a special type of homomorphism that is also a one-to-one and onto function. This means that an isomorphism has a unique inverse and can be thought of as a "relabeling" of the group elements.

4. Can a group homomorphism be between groups of different sizes?

Yes, a group homomorphism can exist between groups of different sizes. As long as the function preserves the group's operation, it is considered a group homomorphism.

5. What is the significance of group homomorphisms in mathematics?

Group homomorphisms are important in mathematics because they allow us to study and compare different groups based on their structure. They also help us understand the relationships between different groups and how they can be transformed or manipulated through functions.