Calculating Altitude of Synchronous Orbit on Rotating Pluto

• Thread starter CinderBlockFist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kepler Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the altitude of a satellite's orbit over a certain spot on the equator of rotating Pluto, also known as a "synchronous orbit". In order to calculate this, the mass of Pluto, the 2nd law of dynamics, the law of gravitational attraction, and the period of rotation around Pluto's axis are needed. The conversation also mentions finding the angular velocity and applying Newton's 2nd law of dynamics, but the person involved in the conversation has not taken a dynamics class yet.
CinderBlockFist
A satellite hovers over a certain spot on the equator of (rotating) Pluto. What is the altitude of its orbit (called a "synchronous orbit")?

Physics news on Phys.org
CinderBlockFist said:
A satellite hovers over a certain spot on the equator of (rotating) Pluto. What is the altitude of its orbit (called a "synchronous orbit")?

You need to know:
1.Mass of Planet Pluto.

2.The 2-nd law of dynamics.

3.The law of gravitational attraction.

4.The period of rotation around its axis for the planet Pluto.

Daniel.

ok thanks brb , sheesh this is killing me.

Well i know

Mass of Pluto = 1.196 x 10 ^ 22 kg

Period of Rotation = 6.39 days

I don't know where i go from there?

U'll need the [tex] \omega=\frac{2\pi}{T} [/tex]

So express the T (period in seconds).Then find the angular velocity and then appy the 2-nd law of dynamics...

Daniel.

Is 2nd law of dynamics, you mean Newtons 2nd law? Because I haven't taken dynamics class yet.

Yes,of course.Report any bad results,if any.

Daniel.

What is Kepler's law?

Kepler's laws are three scientific laws that describe the motion of planets around the sun. They were developed by German astronomer Johannes Kepler in the early 17th century.

What are the three laws of Kepler?

The first law, also known as the law of ellipses, states that planets move around the sun in elliptical orbits with the sun at one of the foci. The second law, also known as the law of equal areas, states that a line connecting a planet to the sun will sweep out equal areas in equal intervals of time. The third law, also known as the law of harmonies, states that the square of a planet's orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

How are Kepler's laws used in science?

Kepler's laws are used in astronomy and space exploration to predict the motion of planets and other objects in space. They also provide a framework for understanding the behavior of celestial bodies and have played a crucial role in the development of our understanding of the solar system and the universe.

Can Kepler's laws be applied to objects other than planets?

Yes, Kepler's laws can be applied to any two objects that are in orbit around each other. This includes satellites, moons, and even man-made objects such as spacecraft. As long as there is one dominant central body, such as a planet or star, Kepler's laws can be used to describe the motion of the orbiting object.

How do I know if a problem involves Kepler's laws?

If a problem involves the motion of one or more objects in orbit around a central body, it may involve Kepler's laws. Additionally, if the problem mentions the concepts of orbital period, semi-major axis, or eccentricity, it is likely a Kepler law problem.