Is it a Meteorite? Las Vegas Hiker Finds 81.7g Object

• B
  • Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteorite
In summary, the conversation was about a person's experience hiking in the desert and coming across a heavy object. Another person provided their thoughts on the object, suggesting it could be hematite or iron furnace slag based on its appearance. The conversation then shifted to discussing examples of iron meteorites, with one person sharing their own collection. They also mentioned their passion for collecting rocks, minerals, and fossils, particularly meteorites for the last 30 years. The conversation ended with encouragement to indulge in the temptation of collecting meteorites.
kolleamm
I was hiking today in the desert in Las Vegas and I came across this. It weighs about 81.7g and feels pretty heavy for its size which is about 1.85in across the longest distance.
What do you think it is?

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 177
Astronomy news on Phys.org
kolleamm said:
What do you think it is?

Greetings
Looking through the pic's and in particular #5 and #6 ( img 0143 and 0144)
My first thoughts are hematite or iron furnace slag. All the bubble holes and the style of flow that can be seen on those pic's
is the giveaway particularly for it being furnace slagcheers
Dave

Likes Vanadium 50, kolleamm and berkeman
davenn said:
Greetings
Looking through the pic's and in particular #5 and #6 ( img 0143 and 0144)
My first thoughts are hematite or iron furnace slag. All the bubble holes and the style of flow that can be seen on those pic's
is the giveaway particularly for it being furnace slagcheers
Dave
Thanks for the help! Well at least I learned something today lol
Also cool meteorites you got there!

Likes davenn
kolleamm said:
Thanks for the help! Well at least I learned something today lol
Also cool meteorites you got there!

You are welcome :smile:
meteorites ( and rocks minerals and fossil collecting are serious passions of mine for the last 50 yrs)
Meteorites mainly for the last 30 years

Always feel free to ask, I will help out in whatever way I can

Dave

davenn said:
Some examples of iron meteorites
(from my own collection)
I swear you are doing this to add to my temptations ! They are very exiting things.

• Haha
Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
I swear you are doing this to add to my temptations ! They are very exiting things.

Give into it, there's a lot worse things you could be addicted to :smile:

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is a meteorite?

A meteorite is a solid piece of debris from an object such as a comet, asteroid, or meteoroid that originates in outer space and survives its impact with the Earth's surface.

2. How can you tell if an object is a meteorite?

There are several characteristics that can help identify a meteorite, including a dark, often black or brown outer crust, a dense and heavy composition, and the presence of small pits or thumbprint-like depressions on the surface.

3. What should I do if I find a potential meteorite?

If you believe you have found a meteorite, it is important to handle it carefully and avoid damaging or altering its appearance. You can also consult with a professional or a local university or museum to have the object examined and authenticated.

4. Are meteorites valuable?

The value of a meteorite can vary greatly depending on its size, composition, and rarity. Some meteorites can be worth thousands of dollars, while others may have little monetary value but still hold scientific significance.

5. Is it common to find meteorites?

It is estimated that around 500 meteorites reach the Earth's surface each year, but most of them are small and difficult to find. It is rare to find a large and recognizable meteorite, making it a special and exciting discovery for those who do come across one.