Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a mistake in Steven Weiberg's QFT II textbook?

1. Dec 24, 2009 #1
    I guess it should be my mistake somewhere. o:)
    https://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Theory-Fields-Modern-Applications/dp/0521670543/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

On Page 30, for the derivation of EQ. (15.7.19), the nilpotency of BRST operator on the ghost for gauge transformation,

[tex]\delta _{\theta}s\omega_\alpha &=& - \frac{1}{2}C_{\alpha\beta\gamma}\delta_\theta(\omega_\beta\omega_\gamma)
    &=&\frac{1}{4}\theta (C_{\alpha\beta\gamma}C_{\beta\delta\epsilon}\omega_\delta\omega_\epsilon\omega_\gamma ++ C_{\alpha\beta\gamma}C_{\gamma\delta\epsilon}\omega_\beta\omega_\delta\omega_\epsilon)=...
    [/tex]

The plus "++" above, I suppose it should be "-" considering [tex]\omega[/tex] is an anticommuting ghost and the BRST operator is odd and acting from left. Steven also mentioned this in the paragraph below Eq. (15.7.19).

Did I miss any point here? Since then we would not have nilpotency of BRST operator on the ghost.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted