Is it realistic to finish a classical electrodynamics book in 2 months?

• Thread starter Qubix
  • Start date
In summary: Well, here's the catch, I self-study, that's the way I've been learning since I was in high school. I'm a graduate student now, and I feel I need to review some notions of Electrodynamics and learn others that I've skipped during my undergraduate years. I don't think this is a realistic goal, if for no other reason than that you will not finish the book in two months. It will take you much longer, probably closer to six months.
Qubix
Ok , so I have to finish a classical electrodynamics book ASAP... I absolutely hate it when I have to study with a deadline, but that's how it goes. Here's the book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805387331/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here's my question :

Is it realistic to set myself the goal of finishing this book in 2 months? (problems and everything) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Qubix said:
Is it realistic to set myself the goal of finishing this book in 2 months? (problems and everything) ?
Obviously, it depends on how much else you will be doing during the time period. The book has 500 pages, so you would need to read an average of 8 and a half pages a day for 60 days. This doesn't seem too stringent to me. However, you must also do the problems and I can't say how long that will take.

Insufficient data for us to say: without knowing how hard you are going to find the problems in the book as well as an understanding of how ease of problems relates to time taken to solve it's impossible to say how long it will take you to finish this book.

However if your tutor has set you this task then obviously they expect you to be able to do it, if you think they are a good judge of both your capabilities and the difficulty of the book then yes it is likely a realistic goal.

ryan_m_b said:
However if your tutor has set you this task then obviously they expect you to be able to do it, if you think they are a good judge of both your capabilities and the difficulty of the book then yes it is likely a realistic goal.

Well, here's the catch, I self-study, that's the way I've been learning since I was in high school. I'm a graduate student now, and I feel I need to review some notions of Electrodynamics and learn others that I've skipped during my undergraduate years.
This was basically a goal I set to myself, 2 months... The problems with setting goals of this sort is that you can estimate how long it will take to cover the theory, break it down into daily bits and pieces, but you can never estimate how long it takes to solve the problems :( And I still need to hit the 2 month mark, since I've got to learn something else from then on.

I can say that it is possible to finish a classical electrodynamics book in 2 months, but it may not be realistic for everyone. It depends on your prior knowledge and understanding of the subject, your study habits, and the amount of time you can dedicate to studying each day.

If you have a strong foundation in electromagnetism and are able to devote several hours each day to studying, then it may be possible for you to finish the book in 2 months. However, if you are new to the subject or have other commitments that limit your study time, it may be more realistic to give yourself a longer timeframe to complete the book.

Furthermore, it is important to consider the quality of your learning and understanding rather than just completing the book within a set timeframe. Rushing through the material may not allow for a thorough understanding and retention of the concepts. It may be more beneficial to set smaller, achievable goals and focus on understanding and mastering each concept before moving on.

In conclusion, while it is possible to finish a classical electrodynamics book in 2 months, it may not be realistic for everyone. It is important to consider your individual circumstances and prioritize understanding and mastering the material rather than just meeting a deadline.

1. Is this goal achievable?

The achievability of a goal depends on various factors such as resources, time, effort, and commitment. It is important to assess these factors and make a realistic plan to increase the chances of achieving the goal.

2. How do I know if my goal is realistic?

A realistic goal is one that is within your capabilities and is not overly ambitious. It should be based on your current resources and abilities, and should also take into consideration any potential obstacles that may arise.

3. What are some examples of realistic goals?

Realistic goals can vary based on individual circumstances, but some common examples include completing a higher education degree, increasing physical fitness, or saving a specific amount of money within a certain timeframe.

4. How can I make my goal more realistic?

To make a goal more realistic, it is important to break it down into smaller, achievable steps. This will help you stay motivated and track your progress. It is also helpful to seek advice from others who have similar goals or have already achieved them.

5. What should I do if my goal is not realistic?

If you realize that your goal is not realistic, it is important to reassess and make necessary adjustments. This could include setting a more achievable timeline, seeking additional resources, or modifying the goal itself. Remember that it is okay to change or revise your goals as needed.