Determining a Subspace: Problem and Conditions

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the conversation revolved around determining if a given set S is a subspace. The conditions for a set to be a subspace were discussed, which include the 0 vector being in S, the sum of two vectors in S also being in S, and the scalar multiple of a vector in S also being in S. The first condition was clarified and an example was given for a different scenario where the 0 vector is in S. The question of why it is necessary to prove that a set is not closed under addition and scalar multiplication was also brought up.
pyroknife
The problem is attached. I need to determine if it's a subspace.
So it must satisfy 3 conditions:
1) 0 vector is in S
2) if U and V are in S then U+V is in S
3) if V is in S, then cV where c is a scalar is in S

For the 1st condition:
I said the 0 vector is not in S, but I'm not sure if I'm understanding it correctly. For this problem when we say the 0 vector is in S are we asking if we have x=0 does that give us the 0 vector?

Let's say we changed the bottom element to 2y-1 instead of 2x-1. And if x and y are in R.
For this case, the 0 vector would be in S right? We can have x=0 and y=1/2 which gives the 0 vector?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
Another question I have is for another problem (I attached this in this post). My book is trying to prove that S is not closed under addition and scalar multiplication. I don't understand why it's necesasry to do that.
Can't you just look at it and see that if the 0 vector is in S, then that means x1=0 and x3=0, but x1+x3=0+0≠-2, which means the 0 vector isn't in S. What is the point of proving the more complicated steps?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 360
Bump, anyone?

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How do you determine if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. If all three properties are satisfied, then the set is a subspace.

3. Can a subspace be empty?

No, a subspace cannot be empty. It must contain at least the zero vector to satisfy the properties of a vector space.

4. What are the necessary conditions for a set to be a subspace?

The necessary conditions for a set to be a subspace are: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. If any of these conditions are not met, then the set is not a subspace.

5. Can a subspace contain more than one zero vector?

No, a subspace can only contain one zero vector. This is because the zero vector is unique and is the identity element for vector addition. Having more than one zero vector would violate the closure property.