Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a talent?

1. Dec 26, 2005 #1
    When I was young, I never played a piano before. My mom played beetoven, and I was able to play most of it without playing a piano before. I was able to play any tune, (zelda theme, the anthem) 'by ear', meaning I can figure out the notes without reading the music.

Is this anything to cherish? Can everyone do this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2005 #2
    What pieces of Beethoven could you play from the first time ?

Beware that you might be playing them all wrong, but you THINK you are doing it correctly. Has a real professional ever judged you ?

No, because you are NOT gifted at playing the piano, you only think you are.

Yes, everyone can suck at playing the piano.
    I would conclude by saying : nil nove sub sole

regards and a happy newyear

4. Dec 26, 2005 #3
    Not everyone can repeat songs by hear. Yes, I am doing them correctly.
  5. Dec 26, 2005 #4
    Well if you give me this answer, than why asking the questions in your first post ?

How do you know ? Who judged you ?

PS : you did not answer my question : what pieces of Beethoven do you play ?
  6. Dec 26, 2005 #5
    Nice guy..
  7. Dec 26, 2005 #6
    If you are indeed playing Beethoven songs by ear, then yes, you are talented. And yes, you should certainly foster and cherish that talent.
  8. Dec 26, 2005 #7
    Thank you maxwell, I will continue practicing.

I have an 'ear' for many songs.
  9. Dec 26, 2005 #8
    Thanks, i know...

So how 'bout givin' a nice guy some answers hmm ?

In case you already forgot the question : What Beethoven pieces do you play ?

10. Dec 26, 2005 #9
    This is true but shouldn't we be a bit more critical for this "new Maurizio Pollini" ? He does not even know what pieces he is playing. How is he certain that he is actually playing Beethoven ?

11. Dec 26, 2005 #10
    Not sure of the name. I think, beethovens sympany.

one of them
  12. Dec 26, 2005 #11
    Well, realistically he's probably not able to play entire Beethoven pieces without any formal training. Perhaps he's had some indirect training through his mother, or something like that.

Anyway, I'm not hiring him to play any gigs, so I'm not really worried if he can or can't play like he says he can. I just figured I'd answer his question theoretically.
  13. Dec 26, 2005 #12
    :rofl: Great answer.

Thanks for responding to my remark

14. Dec 26, 2005 #13

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you record yourself playing then play it against a professional recording and see how the two compare?

If you enjoy it, then do it.
  15. Dec 26, 2005 #14
    Well it all depends, if you are playing the right notes, are you playing ALL the notes that are present at any given time? Also, are you playing slower than the song or just at the same tempo? Try to find out which song you played and what part of it.

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well, since it would explain my above questions.

EDIT2: I'm asking which song, because some songs are easy to play (such as moonlight sonata).
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2005
  16. Dec 26, 2005 #15
    Forget it, ok. I have more important things to do than worry about whato ther people think about me. I know I'm talented, thats all that matters.

I heard my mom playing beehoven, so i was able to play most of the song by hear. She also taught me some of it.

I"m able to play any song by hear, with only the white keys. I can do some songs by hear using the black ones. (i.e beehoven)

I can play any song (except really complex ones) with no training.
  17. Dec 26, 2005 #16
    Ii is quite impossible to play Beethoven's symphonies on piano. Especially if you had no training because these pieces of music are very complicated.

18. Dec 26, 2005 #17
    Yeah, that's my point too. If you are JUST playing the "main" keys which you hear, than you are not truly playing it. Some are just awfully complicated...
  19. Dec 26, 2005 #18
    Sorry, I wouldn't exactly call playing that 'talent.' Playing Beethoven is one thing, playing it 'correctly' is entirely another. You may know the notes, but a true professional will have the timing correct to a T. If you can do that, which I HIGHLY doubt, then yes, you are GOOD. This is why classical music weeds out the good from the great. In something like Jazz you can afford to make slip ups and not affect the piece. In classical music, one slip up and your playing a different note from the rest of the entire orchestra, who are playing the note you should be playing. And timing is CRITICAL .
  20. Dec 26, 2005 #19
    I was listening to my mom play a little bit and picked up by ear what she played. I'm just learning. It's kind of fun.
  21. Dec 26, 2005 #20
    Then, why bring it up ? Clearly you had the time to do that:rofl: :rolleyes:

Beethoven also used to speak these words, so maybe you have a chance here. What is your repertoire ?

Great reference
    I don't get this implication

Before or after you played it from one hearing only ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    So you play Beethoven only using crosses and si-b molls...This must sound like true perfection. Let's just be glad that Beethoven has been dead for almost 200 years now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?