Can the sum of a zero sequence be bounded?

• Thread starter raphael3d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the assertion states that if a_n is a zero sequence, then b_n is also a zero sequence with b_n = (1/n) * sum{a_j} [from j=1 to n]. This may seem trivial at first glance, but it is not as easy as it appears. It is not enough for 1/n to be a zero sequence, the sum of the terms in the sequence must also be bounded. This can be proven by rearranging the sum and using the definition of a limit to show that b_n converges to 0. Therefore, the original claim is not trivial and requires careful consideration.
raphael3d
proof with the definition of the limit the following assertion: if a_n is a zero sequence, so is b_n with b_n = (1/n)* sum{a_j} [from j=1 to n].

at first glance it seems trivial to me, since 1/n is a zero sequence so is b_n but apparently this doesn't satisfy the implication so how can i show that if a_n is a zero sequence, so b_n?

Physics news on Phys.org
seems so at first glance, let me think for any contradictions..

By a zero sequence do you mean its like {0, 0, 0, 0, 0...} or it converges to 0 as [tex] n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

Almost there...
1/n is a zero sequence so too is C/n for any constant C
consider C such that ||a_n||<C for all n (where ||a_n|| is the size of a_n

Last edited:
raphael3d said:
proof with the definition of the limit the following assertion: if a_n is a zero sequence, so is b_n with b_n = (1/n)* sum{a_j} [from j=1 to n].

at first glance it seems trivial to me, since 1/n is a zero sequence so is b_n but apparently this doesn't satisfy the implication so how can i show that if a_n is a zero sequence, so b_n?

Even though [itex]\{a_{n}\}[/itex] might be a zero sequence, the sequence of partial sums:

[tex]
S_{n} = \sum_{j = 1}^{n} {a_{j}}
[/tex]

might not be convergent. A typical example is the harmonic series, which is divergent. So, if [itex]\{b_{n}\}[/itex] is a zero sequence and [itex]S_{n}[/itex] is divergent, you will get an indefinite form [itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex] and it is not that trivial to show that this is a finite number.

Dickfore said:
That is needlessly complicated. It is trivial to show. S_n (which need not even be considered) may diverge, but it diverges like 1 thus S_n/n converges. It is like saying we need to consider an indeterminant form to decide if {1,1,...} converges since 1=n/n and n diverges, there is no such need.

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
That is needlessly complicated. It is trivial to show. S_n (which need not even be considered) may diverge, but it diverges like n thus S_n/n converges. It is like saying we need to consider an indeterminant form to decide if {1,1,...} converges since 1=n/n and n diverges, there is no such need.

Actually, you need to prove that [itex]S_{n} = o(n), n \rightarrow \infty[/itex], so that [itex]b_{n}[/itex] would be a zero sequence.

Last edited:
1/n has limit 0, so per definition has b_n ( 0*the sum).
but the question is an implication, if a_n then b_n.

|a_n - 0| <= delta for all n >= N (limit 0, zero sequence)

the question is, is the sum of all the terms of the sequence a zero sequence, therefore limit 0.

(a is the limit):

choose delta so that |a_n - a| <= delta/n

so for the last two terms of the sum:

a_n+a_n-1 <= |a_n + a_n-1| =|a-(a-a_n)+a_n-1| <= |a_n -a| + |a_n-1 - a| < 2*delta/n (a=0 for the limit)

and this applies for the rest of the sum a_j so sum{a_j} [from j=1 to n] < delta
so far its convergence.
is this argumentation valid?
anyway, how can i show that its limit is zero (with the factor 1/n)?

suppose (as we know since {a_n}->0)
for all epsilon>0 there exist an integer N (which may depend onepsilon) such that for all n>N
||a_n||<epsilon
b_n=(1/n)(a_1+a_2+...a_(n-1)+a_N+a_(N+1)+a_(N+2)+...+a_(n-1)+a_(n))
b_n=(1/n)(N*b_N+a_(N+1)+a_(N+2)+...+a_(n-1)+a_(n))
||b_n||=||(1/n)(N*b_N+a_(N+1)+a_(N+2)+...+a_(n-1)+a_(n))||
||b_n||<=(1/n)(||N*b_N||+||a_(N+1)||+||a_(N+2)||+...+||a_(n-1)||+||a_(n)||)
||b_n||<=(1/n)(||N*b_N||+(n-N)epsilon)

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
b_n=(1/n)(a_1+a_2+...a_(n-1)+a_N+a_(N+1)+a_(N+2)+...+a_(n+1)+a_(n+2))

is this equivalent with the decleration b_n=(1/n)(a_1+a_2+...+a_n) ?
anyway i am not able to follow that, its likely a trivial fact which i cannot see, but someone could explain, please.

raphael3d said:
is this equivalent with the decleration b_n=(1/n)(a_1+a_2+...+a_n) ?
anyway i am not able to follow that, its likely a trivial fact which i cannot see, but someone could explain, please.

Yes it should have been the same, but for my error. The idea is all the a_k past some point are small, so the arithmatic average can be made small though a combination of making some elements small and making the nonsmall elements few.

jakncoke said:
By a zero sequence do you mean its like {0, 0, 0, 0, 0...} or it converges to 0 as [tex] n\rightarrow\infty[/tex]

IMO "zero sequence" should mean [itex]0,0,0,\ldots[/itex] only, but I guess it means a sequence [itex]a_1,a_2,a_3,\ldots[/itex] such that [itex]a_n\to 0[/itex] now...

Are you guys sure that that's standard terminology?

is this a trivial proof?

bobn said:
seems so at first glance, let me think for any contradictions..

You cannot justify a claim being trivial by not finding a counter example! :tongue: You mean the claim seems true, but you are thinking about counter examples just in case there might be some?

Dickfore said:
...you will get an indefinite form [itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex] and it is not that trivial to show that this is a finite number.

This answers the original question. The correct answer is that the claim is not trivial.

But it seems that the actual claim is true anyway... even though it's not trivial.

well, the original question was to show the implication if a_0 then b_0.
although b_0 is a zero sequence because of the zero sequence factor (1/n), one has to show that the sum of a_k is bounded so that b_n does not grow arbitrary. the trick is to rearrange the sum properly but i didnt manage that sofar.

1. Is it important to determine if a proof is trivial?

Yes, it is important to determine if a proof is trivial because it can impact the validity and significance of the research or theory being presented. A trivial proof may not provide any new insights or understanding, and can be considered unimportant or irrelevant.

2. How can one tell if a proof is trivial?

One way to tell if a proof is trivial is by looking at the complexity and depth of the argument. If the proof is short and simple, with no significant steps or logical reasoning, it may be considered trivial. However, the determination of triviality can also depend on the context and purpose of the proof.

3. Can a proof be both trivial and correct?

Yes, a proof can be both trivial and correct. Triviality does not necessarily mean that the proof is incorrect, but rather that it lacks substance or novelty. A trivial proof can still be valid and logically sound, but it may not contribute much to the existing knowledge or understanding of a topic.

4. Why do some people try to avoid trivial proofs?

Some people may try to avoid trivial proofs because they are not considered to be meaningful or impactful in the scientific community. Researchers and scientists strive to make significant contributions to their fields, and a trivial proof may not be seen as a valuable contribution.

5. Is it possible to turn a trivial proof into a non-trivial one?

Yes, it is possible to turn a trivial proof into a non-trivial one by adding more complex and substantial arguments or evidence. This can involve exploring different approaches or perspectives, incorporating new data, or addressing potential counterarguments. However, it is important to note that not all trivial proofs can be transformed into non-trivial ones.