1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a valid proof?

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    Hi I was wondering if someone could tell me if this is a valid proof for this question.

Suppose that V is finite dimensional and S,T elements of L(V). Prove that ST=I if and only if TS=I.

Assume ST=I. Let v be an element of V, such that Tv is an element of null S. v=Iv=STv=S(Tv)=0. Since V is finite dimensional S must be invertible since it is injective. Thus if ST=I then TS=I.

Assume TS=I. Let v' be an element of V such that Sv' is in the null space of T. v'=Iv'=TSv'=0. SInce V is finite dimensional T must be invertible since it is injective. Thus if TS=I then ST=I.

Therefore ST=I if and only if TS=I.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Have you proven S is injective? If S(v) = 0 only if v = 0, then it's injective. Have you proven that null(S) = {0}, or just shown that the only v in V such that T(v) is in null(S) is 0? You've shown that R(T) intersect N(S) = {0}, not that N(S) = {0}, as far as I can tell.

4. Nov 7, 2004 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You were on the right track I believe:

ST(v) = v. If v is not zero, then T(v) cannot be in null S, and so T(v) is not zero (since zero is in null S) if v is not zero. So it is T which is injective, which is thus invertible, so:

ST = I
    TSTT' = TIT' (where T' is the inverse of T)
    TS = I

The converse proof is similar. So, I think you had it right except on the first line you concluded that S was injective, when it should have been that T was injective, and vice versa for the second line. Maybe I'm wrong and your first line also proves that S is injective, but as far as I can see, it only proves that T is, not S.

5. Nov 8, 2004 #4
    Doesn't This line prove that null S is ={0}? STv=0 only if v=0. Thus Tv=T(0)=0. STv=S(0)=0. so the only Tv that are in null S is the 0 vector, so S must be injective.

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think that's true in general. Like I said, all you've proven is that "the only Tv that are in null S is the 0 vector", but there might be some vectors x such that S(x) = 0, but there is no v such that T(v) = x. In other words, it's like I said, you've proven that N(S) intersection R(T) = {0}, where N(S) is the null space of S, and R(T) is the range of T. Say, for example, V = R² and S and T were both the projection onto the x-axis. Then the null space of S would be all the points on the the y-axis, but the only element in the range of T which is in the null space of S (i.e. which is on the y-axis) is the origin, since only the origin is both on the x-axis (in the range of T) and on the y-axis (in the null space of T). So the only Tv that are in null S is the zero vector, i.e. R(T) intersect N(S) = {0}, but null S includes more than just the zero vector, and S is not injective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?