1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this a valid proof?

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    I need to prove that the

limit of as x goes to c, f(x) = L iff limit as x goes to c |f(x) - L| = 0.

I"m still new to this limit concept, but here is the only thing I can think of.

So I break it down into 2 parts since it is an IFF problem. Prove ---> and then prove <----

I mean, can't I Just say that if the limit as x goes to c of |f(x) - L|= 0, then f(x) = L(because, if f(x) is not equal to L, then it wouldn't equal 0...like, a - a = 0, but b - a is not equal 0).. So I can put L to the other side, and proof done. And same the other way.

Is this a valid proof?

or is there more to it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2
  4. Nov 9, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is nonsense. NO, f(x) does not have to be equal to L: f(x) is a function of x and L is a constant. lim(x->0) x2= 0 but it certainly is not true that x2= 0 !

Remember the definition of "lim (x->ac) f(x)= L": Given any &epsilon;> 0, there exist &delta;> 0 such that if |x-c|< &delta;, then |f(x)-L|< &epsilon;

Now apply that same definition to "lim(x->c) f(x)-L= 0". Replace f(x) by f(x)-L and replace L by 0. What happens?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?