Is the 'star' operation a vector operation for two-dimensional vectors?

• Thread starter w3390
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the Homework statement is attempting to define a new vector operation, 'star' (*), for two dimensional vectors. The resultant object would be a vector if the binary operation on vectors A*B= (A1-B1,A2+B2) satisfies the definition of a vector.
w3390

Homework Statement

Consider a new vector operation, 'star' (*), defined for two dimensional vectors by A*B=(A1-B1,A2+B2). Is the resultant object a vector?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to say that the resultant object would be a vector but I do not know how to start to go about proving it. Any help on where I should start?

Physics news on Phys.org

It's one of those proofs that's decievingly easy.
Start by defining two general vectors;
let a=<x1,y1>
and b=<x2,y2> where x and y are real.

Okay, but I get confused on what sort of operation I should be doing since it is some sort of made up (*) operation. I already had what you just said. I didn't know where to go from there.

My proof would be something like this:

We define a vector to be an ordered pair in the form of <a,b> where a,b are reals.

Consider the binary operation on vectors A*B =(A1-B1,A2+B2), where A = <A1,A2> and B=<B1,B2>.

A1,B1,A2,B2 are all reals by the definitions of vectors. A1-B1 is a real since addition is a closed operation. A2+B2 is in the reals since addition is a closed operation. Thus (A1-B1,A2+B2) satisfies the definition of a vector.

Or do you mean an operation on a vector space? That question is a bit more fun.

What do you mean by closed operation?

w3390 said:
What do you mean by closed operation?
Let ‘*’ be an operation defined over some space. Let a,b be ANY elements of the space. ‘*’ is said to be closed if a*b maps to a unique element in the space.

In normal human language: an operation is called closed over a set if it always produces exactly one element in the set.

But by vector do you mean an object in a vector space? If so there is a lot more to this proof.

Yes, I mean an object in vector space.

clarification: they want you to prove that * makes a vector space, or a subspace correct?

If so, this is much more fun then, but revolves around similar ideas. I would look up the definition of a vector space (should be about 8 properties) and show that the element A*B meets (or doesn’t meet) all 8 of these requirements. Remember it only has to fail one property with any elements in the set to not be a vector space.

Last edited:

Ok. Thanks.

1. What is a vector operation?

A vector operation is a mathematical operation performed on vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These operations can include addition, subtraction, scalar multiplication, dot product, cross product, and more.

2. How do I know if an operation is a vector operation?

An operation is considered a vector operation if it is performed on vectors and produces a vector as a result. This means that the inputs and outputs must have both magnitude and direction.

3. Can any operation be a vector operation?

No, not all operations can be considered vector operations. Only operations that can be performed on vectors and produce a vector as a result can be classified as vector operations.

4. What are some real-world applications of vector operations?

Vector operations have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Some examples include calculating forces in structural designs, determining the trajectory of a projectile, and creating 3D animations.

5. How are vector operations different from scalar operations?

The main difference between vector operations and scalar operations is that vector operations involve both magnitude and direction, while scalar operations only involve magnitude. Additionally, the result of a vector operation is always a vector, while the result of a scalar operation is always a scalar.