1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Is this a vector operation

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a new vector operation, 'star' (*), defined for two dimensional vectors by A*B=(A1-B1,A2+B2). Is the resultant object a vector?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I want to say that the resultant object would be a vector but I do not know how to start to go about proving it. Any help on where I should start?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2
    Re: vectors

It's one of those proofs that's decievingly easy.
    Start by defining two general vectors;
    let a=<x1,y1>
    and b=<x2,y2> where x and y are real.

4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

Okay, but I get confused on what sort of operation I should be doing since it is some sort of made up (*) operation. I already had what you just said. I didn't know where to go from there.

5. Sep 13, 2010 #4

My proof would be something like this:

We define a vector to be an ordered pair in the form of <a,b> where a,b are reals.

Consider the binary operation on vectors A*B =(A1-B1,A2+B2), where A = <A1,A2> and B=<B1,B2>.

A1,B1,A2,B2 are all reals by the definitions of vectors. A1-B1 is a real since addition is a closed operation. A2+B2 is in the reals since addition is a closed operation. Thus (A1-B1,A2+B2) satisfies the definition of a vector.

Or do you mean an operation on a vector space? That question is a bit more fun.

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5

What do you mean by closed operation?

7. Sep 13, 2010 #6

Let ‘*’ be an operation defined over some space. Let a,b be ANY elements of the space. ‘*’ is said to be closed if a*b maps to a unique element in the space.

In normal human language: an operation is called closed over a set if it always produces exactly one element in the set.

But by vector do you mean an object in a vector space? If so there is a lot more to this proof.

8. Sep 13, 2010 #7

Yes, I mean an object in vector space.

9. Sep 13, 2010 #8

clarification: they want you to prove that * makes a vector space, or a subspace correct?

If so, this is much more fun then, but revolves around similar ideas. I would look up the definition of a vector space (should be about 8 properties) and show that the element A*B meets (or doesn’t meet) all 8 of these requirements. Remember it only has to fail one property with any elements in the set to not be a vector space.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  10. Sep 13, 2010 #9

Ok. Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook