Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this an induction problem?

1. Jan 30, 2012 #1
    Solved: Is this an induction problem?

[itex](1+2+3+ \cdots + n)^2 = 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + \cdots + n^3 , n \ge 1[/itex]

Provide a derivation of the identity above.

I do not know how to begin this problem. I tried to use induction but did not succeed. Also, I honestly do not know what it means by provide a derivation of the identity. Please do not give me the answer, I just need a helping hand in getting started.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Use the fact that the sum of the first n positive integers is n(n+1)/2; then use induction.

4. Jan 30, 2012 #3
    I need to show that [itex]k^3 + \big( \frac{(k+1)(k+2)}{2} \big)^2 = (k + 1)^3[/itex] or am I way off on my induction basics?

I am following the guide I found at wolfram here http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ProofByInduction/

However, I cannot get the algebra to work out where f(n) + a_(n+1) = f(n+1). Thank you for the help A. Bahat.

I keep getting a polynomial with degree four and I have no way to factor it into a cube.

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4
    I would prove that 1+23+33+...+k3=k2(k+1)2/4 implies 1+23+33+...+(k+1)3=(k+1)2(k+2)2/4.

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5
    I am struggling on how to manipulate [itex]k^2(k+1)^2/4 + (k+1)^3[/itex] to equal [itex](k+1)^2(k+2)^2/4[/itex]

If I get a common denominator I get I am struggling on how to manipulate [itex](k^2(k+1)^24 + 4(k+1)^3)/4[/itex]

However, I cannot find the route that leads to f(k+1).

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Use that

[tex]\frac{k^2(k+1)^2 + 4(k+1)^3}{4}=\frac{(k+1)^2(k^2+4(k+1))}{4}[/tex]

This is distributivity. I just did ab+ac=a(b+c).

8. Jan 30, 2012 #7
    Thank you so much for your help micro and Bahat. I was overlooking distributivity. Thank you and I have it solved now. Not sure how I go about marking a thread as solved. I will try and do it by editing the title of my main post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook