Deriving the Identity: (1+2+3+...+n)^2 = 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 +...+ n^3

• Thread starter DEMJR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
In summary, the sum of the first n positive integers is n(n+1)/2 and this can be used to prove that k^3 + \big( \frac{(k+1)(k+2)}{2} \big)^2 = (k + 1)^3.
DEMJR
Solved: Is this an induction problem?

[itex](1+2+3+ \cdots + n)^2 = 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + \cdots + n^3 , n \ge 1[/itex]

Provide a derivation of the identity above.

I do not know how to begin this problem. I tried to use induction but did not succeed. Also, I honestly do not know what it means by provide a derivation of the identity. Please do not give me the answer, I just need a helping hand in getting started.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that the sum of the first n positive integers is n(n+1)/2; then use induction.

I need to show that [itex]k^3 + \big( \frac{(k+1)(k+2)}{2} \big)^2 = (k + 1)^3[/itex] or am I way off on my induction basics?

I am following the guide I found at wolfram here http://demonstrations.wolfram.com/ProofByInduction/

However, I cannot get the algebra to work out where f(n) + a_(n+1) = f(n+1). Thank you for the help A. Bahat.

I keep getting a polynomial with degree four and I have no way to factor it into a cube.

I would prove that 1+23+33+...+k3=k2(k+1)2/4 implies 1+23+33+...+(k+1)3=(k+1)2(k+2)2/4.

I am struggling on how to manipulate [itex]k^2(k+1)^2/4 + (k+1)^3[/itex] to equal [itex](k+1)^2(k+2)^2/4[/itex]

If I get a common denominator I get I am struggling on how to manipulate [itex](k^2(k+1)^24 + 4(k+1)^3)/4[/itex]

However, I cannot find the route that leads to f(k+1).

DEMJR said:
I am struggling on how to manipulate [itex]k^2(k+1)^2/4 + (k+1)^3[/itex] to equal [itex](k+1)^2(k+2)^2/4[/itex]

If I get a common denominator I get I am struggling on how to manipulate [itex](k^2(k+1)^24 + 4(k+1)^3)/4[/itex]

However, I cannot find the route that leads to f(k+1).

Use that

[tex]\frac{k^2(k+1)^2 + 4(k+1)^3}{4}=\frac{(k+1)^2(k^2+4(k+1))}{4}[/tex]

This is distributivity. I just did ab+ac=a(b+c).

Thank you so much for your help micro and Bahat. I was overlooking distributivity. Thank you and I have it solved now. Not sure how I go about marking a thread as solved. I will try and do it by editing the title of my main post.

1. What is an induction problem?

An induction problem is a type of logical reasoning in which a general rule or principle is drawn from specific observations or examples. It involves making a prediction or conclusion based on patterns or trends observed in a limited sample size.

2. How is an induction problem different from a deduction problem?

An induction problem involves going from specific observations to a general conclusion, while a deduction problem involves going from a general premise to a specific conclusion. In other words, induction is a bottom-up approach, while deduction is a top-down approach.

3. What are some examples of induction problems?

Some examples of induction problems include predicting the next number in a sequence, drawing a conclusion about a population based on a random sample, and making a hypothesis about a scientific phenomenon based on experimental data.

4. Is there a correct answer for an induction problem?

Unlike in deduction problems where the premises are assumed to be true, there is no guarantee that the conclusion drawn from induction is accurate. The strength of the conclusion depends on the quality and quantity of the observations or examples used.

5. How can one improve their induction problem solving skills?

Improving induction problem solving skills can be done by practicing with a variety of examples, paying attention to patterns and trends, and being aware of potential biases or errors in reasoning. It can also be helpful to seek feedback from others and to approach problems from different perspectives.