Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this cheating?

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    So I have in-class assignment every week. The questions on it are some of the challenge questions in textbook. I found the complete solution online so I try to do all the questions before the class to get ready. Since I know the correct answer and everything before doing it in class, is it considered cheating?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    so, if you didn't find the solutions on line, what would you do?

(so, I would say, yes)

4. May 26, 2010 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I were in your situation, I'd bring it to the attention of your instructor that the answers are available online.

Then if the instructor doesn't change the assignment, it's ok (but a bit shady).

But if you don't tell about it, then I'd say yes that's cheating.

5. May 26, 2010 #4
    Nope not cheating. It's only cheating if it hurts you.

6. May 26, 2010 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do these count towards your final grade?

7. May 26, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And is this just the answer - so you have to work out the method and the online resource is just confirming your result, or is it a step-step worked example that you are just copying out?

8. May 26, 2010 #7
    I would still do the questions before class. I'd just have to pray i'm right.

I like this logic.

And ya it counts towards my final grades.

It has most of the work, not just the answer. I'm not copying, I do the question all on my own. I can't whip out the solution manual during the class. I use it to double check my work. If i'm wrong i'll try again till I get it or use the solution manual to point me in the right direction.

9. May 26, 2010 #8
    You are depriving yourself of the opportunity to practise questions under exam conditions and you are giving your instructors a false impression of your abilities.How is this going to help you, for example in your finals.Yes it is cheating and the main person you're cheating is yourself.

10. May 26, 2010 #9
    Ok so I see the problem... You are not sure your problems are right so that means you have not learned how to self check them. I would complain to your teacher that they need to teach the class how to self check problems. Then you will no longer need to worry about if you got it right or not.

11. May 26, 2010 #10
    you should attempt the problems on your own first.

as for questions online, you can blame lazy teachers for much of this (assuming you think it's a problem). pearson et al. are making the lives of teachers easier by providing "test banks" for their texts. and even for the computer-generated ones where the variables are changed, the questions are basically the same, even if the outcome is different.

12. May 26, 2010 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is this high school or college?

I can answer from the perspective of a high school teacher:

If you are actually working through the challenge problems of the textbook, all of them, on a regular basis, that would put you way ahead of 99% of the student body. Even if you are checking the solved problems online, you are giving yourself a lot of experience in all the variations of problem solving. More experience is better. If you can manage to recall the methods of solutions to any of the challenge problems, then I would give you (limited) credit.

But if you are in college, and especially 2nd year or up, I'd think that you are getting by with a loophole. If this is the case, then I agree with lisab.

Go to the instructor and ask him: "Did you know that all the solutions are posted online?"

He/she could say "Yes I do." And if he leaves it at that, you are free to go.

If he goes "They ARE?!?!?!?!? You're JOKING!!!!!NFW!!!" Then at least you score a point for honesty.

13. May 26, 2010 #12
    Isn't this just like revising? Do you know exactly which problem will come up?
    If, at the end of the day, you have to learn how to solve each problem...then the assignment is doing to you what it's meant to do anyway.

14. May 26, 2010 #13
    Here's a valuable lesson that applies far beyond this particular situation: it's cheating only if you get caught. The wisest course of action, particularly given that you've already handed in assignments based on solutions you've found online, is to keep your mouth shut.

I really see very little that's ethically questionable if you are using the solutions to help you understand the subject better. Of course, if you're just copying them verbatim and not putting any thought into what you're writing, then it'll come back to bite you in the *** come the examinations or if you're asked by your instructor why your solutions are identical to ones he's found online.

15. May 26, 2010 #14
    It's not cheating. Whatever was done before class does not matter. For all they know, you might have had that course before, but you hadn't been allowed to waive it off.

16. May 26, 2010 #15

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is absolutely deplorable. Shame.

Character is who you are when no one is looking.

17. May 26, 2010 #16
    Deplorable? Don't be silly.

18. May 26, 2010 #17
    No I agree its absolutely deplorable.

19. May 26, 2010 #18
    there are certainly times when it is preferable to keep your mouth shut

20. May 26, 2010 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Not sure where you stand after your comment:

21. May 26, 2010 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm honestly amazed at how many people are writing in saying it's not cheating. Wow.

And yes, "it's cheating only if you get caught" is truly a deplorable attitude.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook