Confused by Operator Algebra: Checking Intermediate Step

• Thread starter BWV
  • Start date
In summary, operator algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of operators, which are symbols that represent mathematical operations. It is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. An intermediate step in operator algebra is a step in a mathematical calculation where an operator is applied to a variable or expression. These steps are used to simplify the expression or solve for a specific variable. However, operator algebra can be confusing because it involves abstract concepts and symbols that may not be familiar. It is important to review the fundamentals and practice solving problems to gain a better understanding. To check your intermediate steps in operator algebra, you can use a variety of methods such as substituting values for variables, solving
BWV
I get confused by the operator algebra - this is the commutator for q & p from wikipedia
Am I correct on the intermediate step I plugged in there?

296ebfb900298b88e8f5ba9f793dc93c.png

because of the product rule you get as the intermediate step:

=d/dx x Ψ(x) + x d/dx Ψ(x) - x d/dx Ψ(x)

and d/dx x =1

so

edd53c9f1001e42bb424104f7c283eda.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good.

Great, thanks for looking at it

What is operator algebra and why is it important?

Operator algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of operators, which are symbols that represent mathematical operations. It is important because it provides a powerful framework for solving complex problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What is an intermediate step in operator algebra?

An intermediate step in operator algebra is a step in a mathematical calculation where an operator is applied to a variable or expression. These steps are used to simplify the expression or solve for a specific variable.

Why am I confused by operator algebra?

Operator algebra can be confusing because it involves abstract concepts and symbols that may not be familiar. It also requires a strong understanding of algebra and mathematical operations. It is important to review the fundamentals and practice solving problems to gain a better understanding.

How can I check my intermediate steps in operator algebra?

To check your intermediate steps in operator algebra, you can use a variety of methods such as substituting values for variables, solving for a specific variable, or using properties of operators. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and make sure they align with the original problem.

Are there any common mistakes to watch out for in operator algebra?

Some common mistakes to watch out for in operator algebra include errors in applying the order of operations, mixing up operators and variables, and forgetting to apply properties of operators. It is important to carefully review your work and check for these types of mistakes.