Is this derivative in terms of tensors correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a partial derivative problem involving a constant vector and a general metric tensor. The attempt at a solution involves using the general form of the inner product, which is incorrect. It is suggested to use specific examples, such as polar coordinates or a made-up metric, to check the validity of the steps and to focus on the derivative of the inner product with respect to x.
TimeRip496

Homework Statement

Solve this, $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}$$
where q is a constant vector.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}=3\frac{\partial(q.x)^{-3}}{\partial (q.x)}*\frac{\partial (q.x)}{\partial x^{\nu}} \\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}[g^{\mu \nu}[q_{\mu,\nu}x_{\nu}+q_{\mu}x_{\nu,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}[g^{\mu \nu}[0+q_{\mu}x_{\nu,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}[[q_{\mu}\delta^\mu _\nu]]\\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}q_{\nu}$$
Is this correct? Besides is there an easier or faster way to solve this? Or can it be reduce further to lesser terms?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you think of checking with an example? When you say reduced further, you have left the answer with the expanded form of the inner product.

Note that you have ##\nu## as the free index, so you can't use this for a dummy index in your inner product. You should see that's wrong as you have three ##\nu##'s in the same term.

PeroK said:
Did you think of checking with an example? When you say reduced further, you have left the answer with the expanded form of the inner product
Sorry about the inner product. I just want confirm the validity of my answer.

$$\frac{-9}{(q.x)^4}q_{\nu}$$

TimeRip496 said:
Sorry about the inner product. I just want confirm the validity of my answer.

$$\frac{-9}{(g^{q.x)^4}q_{\nu}$$

It's not right.

PeroK said:
It's not right.
I don't get why my answer is not right. Even when I reduced it to a normal derivative of x, I will get the same result.

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{3}{(qx)^3}=\frac{-9}{(q x)^4}q$$

TimeRip496 said:
I don't get why my answer is not right. Even when I reduced it to a normal derivative of x, I will get the same result.

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{3}{(qx)^3}=\frac{-9}{(q x)^4}q$$

Do you know any examples where the metric tensor is not ##\eta^{\mu \nu}##?

PeroK said:
Do you know any examples where the metric tensor is not ##\eta^{\mu \nu}##?
No unless is curved spacetime. Correcting for the ημν and v,

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}=3\frac{\partial(q.x)^{-3}}{\partial (q.x)}*\frac{\partial (q.x)}{\partial x^{\nu}} \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\kappa)^4}[\eta^{\mu \kappa}[q_{\mu,\nu}x_{\kappa}+q_{\mu}x_{\kappa,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\kappa)^4}[\eta^{\mu \kappa}[0+q_{\mu}x_{\kappa,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\kappa)^4}[[q_{\mu}\delta^\mu _\nu]]\\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}q_{\nu}\\=\frac{-9}{(q.x)^4}q_{\nu}$$

TimeRip496 said:
No unless is curved spacetime. Correcting for the ημν and v,

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}=3\frac{\partial(q.x)^{-3}}{\partial (q.x)}*\frac{\partial (q.x)}{\partial x^{\nu}} \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\kappa)^4}[\eta^{\mu \kappa}[q_{\mu,\nu}x_{\kappa}+q_{\mu}x_{\kappa,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\kappa)^4}[\eta^{\mu \kappa}[0+q_{\mu}x_{\kappa,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\kappa)^4}[[q^{\nu}\delta^\mu _\nu]]\\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta^{\mu \kappa}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}q_{\nu}\\=\frac{-9}{(q.x)^4}q_{\nu}$$

The metric tensor (in flat spacetime) is ##\eta^{\mu \nu}## when you have Cartesian coordinates. You could try polar coordinates in 2D (flat) space, where the metric tensor is not ##\eta^{\mu \nu}##.

In general, 2D polar coordinates are the simplest example to use when you want to check something like this. Note, however, that they still have a diagonal metric. So, your other option is just to make one up. For example:

##a \cdot b = a_1b_1 + 2a_2b_2 + 3a_1b_2 + 3a_2b_1##

Also, your problem hinges on the derivative of the inner product wrt ##x^{\nu}## so you can just focus on that:

PeroK said:
The metric tensor (in flat spacetime) is ##\eta^{\mu \nu}## when you have Cartesian coordinates. You could try polar coordinates in 2D (flat) space, where the metric tensor is not ##\eta^{\mu \nu}##.

In general, 2D polar coordinates are the simplest example to use when you want to check something like this. Note, however, that they still have a diagonal metric. So, your other option is just to make one up. For example:

##a \cdot b = a_1b_1 + 2a_2b_2 + 3a_1b_2 + 3a_2b_1##

Also, your problem hinges on the derivative of the inner product wrt ##x^{\nu}## so you can just focus on that:
When you mean check answer, do you mean something like this?
E.g.
$$q=(a\ \ \ \ \ b)\\ x=(x_1\ \ \ \ \ x_2)$$
$$\partial_\nu \frac{3}{(ax_1+bx_2)^{3}}=\begin{pmatrix}-9a(ax_1+bx_2)^{-4}\\-9b(ax_1+bx_2)^{-4}\end{pmatrix} \\=\frac{-9}{(ax_1+bx_2)^{4}}q_\nu \\=\frac{-9}{(q.x)^{4}}q_\nu$$
And how does the metric tensor fit into the checking here? Is it used to check the validity of the intermediate steps here?

TimeRip496 said:
When you mean check answer, do you mean something like this?
E.g.
$$q=(a\ \ \ \ \ b)\\ x=(x_1\ \ \ \ \ x_2)$$
$$\partial_\nu \frac{3}{(ax_1+bx_2)^{3}}=\begin{pmatrix}-9a(ax_1+bx_2)^{-4}\\-9b(ax_1+bx_2)^{-4}\end{pmatrix} \\=\frac{-9}{(ax_1+bx_2)^{4}}q_\nu \\=\frac{-9}{(q.x)^{4}}q_\nu$$
And how does the metric tensor fit into the checking here? Is it used to check the validity of the intermediate steps here?

I think you have several conceptual problems here. First, I better check. You used a general form of the inner product in your OP that used a general metric tensor ##g^{\mu \nu}##. Did you really mean that? Or, are you assuming that ##g^{\mu \nu} = diag(1, 1, 1)##?

PS note that ##\eta^{\mu \nu} = diag(-1, 1, 1, 1)##. So, even with that as the metric the answer is not correct.

Last edited:
TimeRip496 said:

Homework Statement

Solve this, $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}$$
where q is a constant vector.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}=3\frac{\partial(q.x)^{-3}}{\partial (q.x)}*\frac{\partial (q.x)}{\partial x^{\nu}} \\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}[g^{\mu \nu}[q_{\mu,\nu}x_{\nu}+q_{\mu}x_{\nu,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}[g^{\mu \nu}[0+q_{\mu}x_{\nu,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}[[q_{\mu}\delta^\mu _\nu]]\\ =\frac{-9}{(g^{\mu \nu}q_\mu x_\nu)^4}q_{\nu}$$
Is this correct? Besides is there an easier or faster way to solve this? Or can it be reduce further to lesser terms?

Is ##q\cdot x = q_\mu x^\mu##? If so, an elementary differentiation process gives
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu} \frac{3}{(q \cdot x)^3} = -\frac{9}{(q \cdot x)^4} q_\nu$$ with essentially no work.

Likes TimeRip496 and PeroK
PeroK said:
I think you have several conceptual problems here. First, I better check. You used a general form of the inner product in your OP that used a general metric tensor ##g^{\mu \nu}##. Did you really mean that? Or, are you assuming that ##g^{\mu \nu} = diag(1, 1, 1)##?
My mistake because I did assume that ##g^{\mu \nu} = diag(1, 1, 1)## which shouldn't be the case.
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}=3\frac{\partial(q.x)^{-3}}{\partial (q.x)}*\frac{\partial (q.x)}{\partial x^{\nu}} \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \kappa}[q^{\mu}_{,\nu}x^{\kappa}+q^{\mu}x^{\kappa}_{,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \kappa}[0+q^{\mu}x^{\kappa}_{,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \kappa}[q^{\mu}\delta^\kappa _\nu]]\\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \nu}q^{\mu}]\\=\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}q_{\nu}$$
where qv=[-q1 q2 q3 ...]

PeroK said:
PS note that ##\eta^{\mu \nu} = diag(-1, 1, 1, 1)##. So, even with that as the metric the answer is not correct.
However, what do you mean by this? Why won't that metric work?

TimeRip496 said:
My mistake because I did assume that ##g^{\mu \nu} = diag(1, 1, 1)## which shouldn't be the case.
$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\nu}}\frac{3}{(q.x)^3}=3\frac{\partial(q.x)^{-3}}{\partial (q.x)}*\frac{\partial (q.x)}{\partial x^{\nu}} \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \kappa}[q^{\mu}_{,\nu}x^{\kappa}+q^{\mu}x^{\kappa}_{,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \kappa}[0+q^{\mu}x^{\kappa}_{,\nu}]] \\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \kappa}[q^{\mu}\delta^\kappa _\nu]]\\ =\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}[\eta_{\mu \nu}q^{\mu}]\\=\frac{-9}{(\eta_{\mu \kappa}q^\mu x^\kappa)^4}q_{\nu}$$
where qv=[-q1 q2 q3 ...]However, what do you mean by this? Why won't that metric work?

In #11, if ##q \cdot x = \eta_{\mu \nu} q^\mu x^\nu## we can write it as ##q \cdot x = q_\nu x^\nu,## where ##q_\nu = \eta_{\mu \nu} q^\mu.## So we just have ##q \cdot x = q_1 x^1 + q_2 x^2 + \cdots + q_n x^n##, irrespective of the exact form of the metric ##\eta_{\mu \nu}.##

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
In #11, if ##q \cdot x = \eta_{\mu \nu} q^\mu x^\nu## we can write it as ##q \cdot x = q_\nu x^\nu,## where ##q_\nu = \eta_{\mu \nu} q^\mu.## So we just have ##q \cdot x = q_1 x^1 + q_2 x^2 + \cdots + q_n x^n##, irrespective of the exact form of the metric ##\eta_{\mu \nu}.##
How do I then ensure that the property of metric tensor is expressed in the equation then? Do I leave the metric tensor and the contravariant vector as separate then?

TimeRip496 said:
where qv=[-q1 q2 q3 ...]However, what do you mean by this? Why won't that metric work?

Sorry, I think I misled you. I didn't understand why you were not differentiating the tensor components and how you got rid of them. I didn't notice, I must admit, that you had the correct answer all along. Sorry for that.

I thought that if you used an example metric that depended on the coordinates (like polar coordinates) you would see that you have to differentiate the metric components as well.

In any case, @Ray Vickson has given you the best approach.

PeroK said:
Sorry, I think I misled you. I didn't understand why you were not differentiating the tensor components and how you got rid of them. I didn't notice, I must admit, that you had the correct answer all along. Sorry for that.

I thought that if you used an example metric that depended on the coordinates (like polar coordinates) you would see that you have to differentiate the metric components as well.

In any case, @Ray Vickson has given you the best approach.
Okay thanks for the help!

1. What are tensors and why are they important in derivatives?

Tensors are mathematical objects that represent geometric quantities, such as vectors and tensors. They are important in derivatives because they allow for the generalization of vector calculus to higher dimensions, making it easier to solve complex problems in mathematics and science.

2. How do tensors affect the accuracy of derivatives?

Tensors can greatly affect the accuracy of derivatives, as they can be used to represent the curvature and higher-order derivatives of a function, providing a more precise and comprehensive understanding of its behavior. However, incorrect use of tensors can also lead to inaccurate results.

3. Can tensors be used in all types of derivatives?

Yes, tensors can be used in all types of derivatives, including partial derivatives, directional derivatives, and gradient derivatives. They are particularly useful in multivariable calculus, where they allow for the representation of multiple variables and their relationships.

4. How can I determine if a derivative in terms of tensors is correct?

To determine if a derivative in terms of tensors is correct, you can check if it follows the rules and properties of tensor calculus, such as the product rule, chain rule, and index notation. You can also compare it to known solutions or use numerical methods to verify its accuracy.

5. Are there any resources available for learning about derivatives in terms of tensors?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about derivatives in terms of tensors, including textbooks, online tutorials, and courses. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of vector calculus and linear algebra before delving into tensor calculus.