1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this diff eq solvable?

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    Is this diff eq solvable? !!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution to the third order homogeneous diff eq if one solution is known to be:

[tex]x^2e^{5x}[/tex]

I was thinking of using reduction of order but I don't have the original equation!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2008 #2
    Okay. Since it was given that the 3rd order diff eq is homogeneous, it is okay to assume that there is no particular solution to this, right?

And I can also assume that (m-5) is a factor of the characteristic equation. I am also assuming that it is a thrice repeated root, so [itex]y=c_1e^{5x}+c_2xe^{5x}+c_3x^2e^{5x} [/itex]

I am not so confident in this, since it is all based on assumption. Any thoughts on the validity of this?

4. Feb 29, 2008 #3
    It might help a bit if you told us what the differential equation was.

5. Feb 29, 2008 #4
    Read the OP. It has not been given.

6. Feb 29, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming this is a linear homogeneous 3rd order diff eq with constant coefficients, then that is the case and the differential equation must be (D- 5)3y= y"'-15y"+ 75y'- 125y= 0. Of course, we were not told that.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  7. Feb 29, 2008 #6
    So, as it stands, this problem has been worded incorrectly. That is what I thought. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?