1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is this diffraction?

1. Dec 30, 2017 #1
    Is this diffraction??Help..sorry if ive posted in the wrong place.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2017 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You'll increase your chances of getting a meaningful answer if you describe what these images are.

4. Dec 30, 2017 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

just looks like some very blurry -- out of focus, so probably not

5. Dec 31, 2017 #4
    I have not taken the best pic from the video but please take a look at this short video and tell me what you think.

6. Dec 31, 2017 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

I still go with my earlier comments .... unfortunately, it's just a meaningless out of focus blur

Dave

7. Dec 31, 2017 #6
    Ok.thank you for taking a look anyways.i will keep trying to capture what i can see with my eyes.looks like something to me but the only thing i can find online that looks anything like it are diffraction patterns.

8. Dec 31, 2017 #7

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

If you tell us what it is that you are looking at, it would help. When do you reckon you are 'seeing' a diffraction pattern?
    I could point out that you cannot get a diffraction pattern with an individual photon and that you need an awful lot of photons to build up a diffraction. But all may be solved if you describe what you have been doing.

9. Dec 31, 2017 #8
    I will try to exsplane best i can later when ive put the kids in bed.i know you cant get diffraction from a notmal light source thats why im asking you guys to help me figure out what it is.the light source is a normal street lamp and the video is of the light bouncing off a bio liquid.imagine the tiny shimmer you get from a diamond that tiny point of light reflecting.thats what im trying to focus on.that tiny dot of reflected light at a certain Angeles allows me to see structurs that are like looking at the surface of an alien planet.ive looked all over the web to exsplane it but found nothing..i will upload the full video later to see if that help anyone tell me what it is.thanks

10. Dec 31, 2017 #9

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What kind of streetlamp? What color is it?

11. Dec 31, 2017 #10
    Its a white light..

Attached Files:

12. Dec 31, 2017 #11

Dont know if this video will help.its a little longer and shows different structures.

13. Dec 31, 2017 #12

Please watch this video.i have tryed to capture the reflected light from materials.this is reflected light from a water based liqid.the light is reflected from the surface and captured directly into the phones camera.The light is somehow creating structures that seem to eco like a reapeating pattern but each time getting dimmer.Please pause the video at 1.50-1.55 and see for yourself what i mean..close to the end there is a very intresting triangular shape that i cant exsplane.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  14. Jan 2, 2018 #13

Khashishi

Science Advisor

No, the blurring you see is not diffraction. There's always some diffraction that contributes to the blur, but in this case, most of the blur seems to come from poor focus.

15. Jan 2, 2018 #14
    If the diffraction was from poor focus of the camera then i would not be able to see it with my eyes would i?

16. Jan 2, 2018 #15

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

To be pedantic about this question, I could say that, as diffraction accounts for the formation of any image when you treat the light as waves, everything you see is 'diffraction'. The occasions when there is an identifiable fringe structure will be when there is a limited aperture or where there are multiple path lengths for the waves to get to a destination. The above images and videos are probably due to diffraction due to some small scattering structure in the light path. A great example of this is the diffraction pattern caused by the supports in a newtonian telescope. You will notice that those spikes are not noticeably 'coloured'. The images in this link seem to be copyright protected so i couldn't post an image but they show what I mean, very well. They do not occur all over the picture - often just where the object is a lot brighter than the surroundings. They can occur without the original object actually turning up in the picture and that's what I think is happening in the above images. There must be a bright source well off axis.
    Other examples are what you see when bright lights pass through a wet windscreen when the wipers have gone over a slightly greasy patch and the effect that 'effects filters' (star burst) on cameras will show. There is sometimes a bit of chromatic spread but nothing like as strong as the basic 'white' pattern.
    P.S. The main peak in these particular patterns is in the same direction for all wavelengths and the width is small - hence the white appearance.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. Jan 2, 2018 #16
    You are awesome.Thank you so much.i found this picture that is exactly the same as the rectangular patterns i am seeing.https://i.imgur.com/2NyUPtt.jpg

18. Jan 3, 2018 #17

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Nice image. Of course, it is in monochrome but I suggest that you would actually a slightly 'coloured' outline in the original.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted