Diffraction Help: Is This Diffraction?

In summary: If the diffraction was from poor focus of the camera then i would not be able to see it with my eyes would i?To be pedantic about this question, I could say that, as diffraction accounts for the formation of any image when you treat the light as waves, everything you see is 'diffraction'. The occasions when there is an identifiable fringe structure will be when there is a limited aperture or where there are multiple path lengths for the waves to get to a destination. The above images and videos are probably due to diffraction due to some small scattering structure in the light path. A great example of this is the diffraction pattern caused by the...
ZHIHZ
Is this diffraction??Help..sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.

Attachments

• 20171231_004541.png
    20171231_004541.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 606
  • 20171231_004607.png
    20171231_004607.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 588
Science news on Phys.org
You'll increase your chances of getting a meaningful answer if you describe what these images are.

Likes ZHIHZ
ZHIHZ said:
Is this diffraction??Help..sorry if I've posted in the wrong place.

just looks like some very blurry -- out of focus, so probably not

davenn said:
just looks like some very blurry -- out of focus, so probably not
I have not taken the best pic from the video but please take a look at this short video and tell me what you think.

ZHIHZ said:
I have not taken the best pic from the video but please take a look at this short video and tell me what you think.

I still go with my earlier comments ... unfortunately, it's just a meaningless out of focus blur

Dave

davenn said:
I still go with my earlier comments ... unfortunately, it's just a meaningless out of focus blur

Dave
Ok.thank you for taking a look anyways.i will keep trying to capture what i can see with my eyes.looks like something to me but the only thing i can find online that looks anything like it are diffraction patterns.

ZHIHZ said:
Ok.thank you for taking a look anyways.i will keep trying to capture what i can see with my eyes.looks like something to me but the only thing i can find online that looks anything like it are diffraction patterns.
If you tell us what it is that you are looking at, it would help. When do you reckon you are 'seeing' a diffraction pattern?
I could point out that you cannot get a diffraction pattern with an individual photon and that you need an awful lot of photons to build up a diffraction. But all may be solved if you describe what you have been doing.

sophiecentaur said:
If you tell us what it is that you are looking at, it would help. When do you reckon you are 'seeing' a diffraction pattern?
I could point out that you cannot get a diffraction pattern with an individual photon and that you need an awful lot of photons to build up a diffraction. But all may be solved if you describe what you have been doing.
I will try to exsplane best i can later when I've put the kids in bed.i know you can't get diffraction from a notmal light source that's why I am asking you guys to help me figure out what it is.the light source is a normal street lamp and the video is of the light bouncing off a bio liquid.imagine the tiny shimmer you get from a diamond that tiny point of light reflecting.thats what I am trying to focus on.that tiny dot of reflected light at a certain Angeles allows me to see structurs that are like looking at the surface of an alien planet.ive looked all over the web to exsplane it but found nothing..i will upload the full video later to see if that help anyone tell me what it is.thanks

ZHIHZ said:
i know you can't get diffraction from a notmal light source that's why I am asking you guys to help me figure out what it is.the light source is a normal streed lamp
What kind of streetlamp? What color is it?

berkeman said:
What kind of streetlamp? What color is it?
Its a white light..

Attachments

• 20171231_182124.jpg
    20171231_182124.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 456

Dont know if this video will help.its a little longer and shows different structures.

Please watch this video.i have tryed to capture the reflected light from materials.this is reflected light from a water based liqid.the light is reflected from the surface and captured directly into the phones camera.The light is somehow creating structures that seem to eco like a reapeating pattern but each time getting dimmer.Please pause the video at 1.50-1.55 and see for yourself what i mean..close to the end there is a very interesting triangular shape that i can't exsplane.

Last edited:
No, the blurring you see is not diffraction. There's always some diffraction that contributes to the blur, but in this case, most of the blur seems to come from poor focus.

Likes davenn
Khashishi said:
No, the blurring you see is not diffraction. There's always some diffraction that contributes to the blur, but in this case, most of the blur seems to come from poor focus.
If the diffraction was from poor focus of the camera then i would not be able to see it with my eyes would i?

To be pedantic about this question, I could say that, as diffraction accounts for the formation of any image when you treat the light as waves, everything you see is 'diffraction'. The occasions when there is an identifiable fringe structure will be when there is a limited aperture or where there are multiple path lengths for the waves to get to a destination. The above images and videos are probably due to diffraction due to some small scattering structure in the light path. A great example of this is the diffraction pattern caused by the supports in a Newtonian telescope. You will notice that those spikes are not noticeably 'coloured'. The images in this link seem to be copyright protected so i couldn't post an image but they show what I mean, very well. They do not occur all over the picture - often just where the object is a lot brighter than the surroundings. They can occur without the original object actually turning up in the picture and that's what I think is happening in the above images. There must be a bright source well off axis.
Other examples are what you see when bright lights pass through a wet windscreen when the wipers have gone over a slightly greasy patch and the effect that 'effects filters' (star burst) on cameras will show. There is sometimes a bit of chromatic spread but nothing like as strong as the basic 'white' pattern.
P.S. The main peak in these particular patterns is in the same direction for all wavelengths and the width is small - hence the white appearance.

Last edited:
Likes ZHIHZ
sophiecentaur said:
To be pedantic about this question, I could say that, as diffraction accounts for the formation of any image when you treat the light as waves, everything you see is 'diffraction'. The occasions when there is an identifiable fringe structure will be when there is a limited aperture or where there are multiple path lengths for the waves to get to a destination. The above images and videos are probably due to diffraction due to some small scattering structure in the light path. A great example of this is the diffraction pattern caused by the supports in a Newtonian telescope. You will notice that those spikes are not noticeably 'coloured'. The images in this link seem to be copyright protected so i couldn't post an image but they show what I mean, very well. They do not occur all over the picture - often just where the object is a lot brighter than the surroundings. They can occur without the original object actually turning up in the picture and that's what I think is happening in the above images. There must be a bright source well off axis.
Other examples are what you see when bright lights pass through a wet windscreen when the wipers have gone over a slightly greasy patch and the effect that 'effects filters' (star burst) on cameras will show. There is sometimes a bit of chromatic spread but nothing like as strong as the basic 'white' pattern.
P.S. The main peak in these particular patterns is in the same direction for all wavelengths and the width is small - hence the white appearance.
You are awesome.Thank you so much.i found this picture that is exactly the same as the rectangular patterns i am seeing.https://i.imgur.com/2NyUPtt.jpg

ZHIHZ said:
the rectangular patterns i am seeing.https://i.imgur.com/2NyUPtt.jpg
Nice image. Of course, it is in monochrome but I suggest that you would actually a slightly 'coloured' outline in the original.

1. What is diffraction?

Diffraction is a phenomenon in which waves spread out as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle. It is a fundamental property of all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. How does diffraction occur?

Diffraction occurs when a wave encounters an obstacle or passes through an opening that is comparable in size to its wavelength. The wave will bend and spread out as it passes through the opening or around the obstacle, creating a pattern of alternating light and dark areas.

3. What is the difference between diffraction and refraction?

Diffraction and refraction are both ways in which waves interact with obstacles or boundaries, but they are different phenomena. Diffraction occurs when waves bend and spread out as they pass through an opening or around an obstacle, while refraction is the bending of waves as they pass through a medium with varying density.

4. How is diffraction useful in science?

Diffraction is a useful tool in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to study the properties of waves and the structure of materials. Diffraction patterns are also used in techniques such as X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of molecules.

5. Can diffraction occur with all types of waves?

Yes, diffraction can occur with all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. However, the amount of diffraction that occurs depends on the wavelength of the wave and the size of the obstacle or opening it encounters. For example, sound waves with longer wavelengths will diffract more than light waves with shorter wavelengths.