Is the equation in this context really true?

• Thread starter yjc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and whether the equation ##i \partial_t \phi (x,t) = \sqrt{k} \phi (x,t)## is ever true. It is shown that in the one-parameter case with ##\phi = \phi (t)##, the general solution is ##\phi = Ae^{-i\sqrt{k}t} + Be^{i\sqrt{k}t}##, and when substituted into the equation, there is a sign change on the second term, rendering the equation false. However, a book suggests that the equation is true. The full context of the question involves an omitted step that expands the full form of the solution, but the conversation concludes that the equation
yjc
The short version of this question:
Suppose we have the differential equation ## \partial^2_t \phi (x,t) = -k \phi (x,t) ##. Is it ever true that
$$i \partial_t \phi (x,t) = \sqrt{k} \phi (x,t) $$
In the one-parameter case with ##\phi= \phi (t) ##, the general solution is
$$\phi = Ae^{-i\sqrt{k}t} + Be^{i\sqrt{k}t}$$
Then we get
$$i \partial_t \phi (t) = A\sqrt{k}e^{-i\sqrt{k}t} - B\sqrt{k}e^{i\sqrt{k}t} \neq \sqrt{k} \phi (t)$$
, so we end up with a sign change on the second term, so the equation never holds. However, a book I'm using suggests that it is true. Am I making a very simple mistake?

The full context of my question is this. We're given
1. ##\partial_t^2 \phi = (\vec{\nabla}^2 - m^2) \phi##
2. ##i \langle 0 \vert \partial_t \phi \vert \psi \rangle = ... = \langle 0 \vert \sqrt{m^2 - \vec{\nabla}^2} \phi \vert \psi \rangle ##
The omitted steps is when the text expands out the full form of the solution ##\phi = \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\omega_p}}(a_p e^{ipx} + a^{\dagger}_p e^{ipx})##

(In case you're wondering, the ##t##-dependence is inside the ##x = (t,x_1,x_2,x_3)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are only dealing with the wave in one direction, it seems to work just fine:
##\partial_t Ae^{-ikt} = -ikAe^{-ikt}##.
##i \partial_t \phi = k\phi##.

RUber said:
If you are only dealing with the wave in one direction, it seems to work just fine

True, except that the text (QFT, Schwatz) explicitly considers the general case with both terms...

The text also took the trouble to expand out the partial derivative on the solution (the part that I omitted above). I fail to see why that is even necessary.

1. What is an equation?

An equation is a mathematical statement that shows the equality between two expressions, typically written with an equal sign (=). It includes variables, numbers, and mathematical operations.

2. How do you determine if an equation is true?

To determine if an equation is true, you need to solve for the variable(s) and check if the resulting values make the equation balance. If the values on both sides of the equation are equal, then the equation is true.

3. Can an equation be true for some values but not others?

Yes, an equation can be true for some values but not others. This is because the values of the variables in the equation can affect the truthfulness of the statement. Some values may satisfy the equation and make it true, while others may not.

4. Are there certain rules for solving equations?

Yes, there are rules for solving equations such as the order of operations, which tells us the order in which we should perform mathematical operations. Additionally, we can also use inverse operations to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

5. Can an equation ever be true for all values?

Yes, an equation can be true for all values, depending on the equation. For example, the equation x + 5 = x + 5 is true for all values of x, since both sides of the equation are always equal. This is known as an identity equation.