Iris Scanning Tech Creates World's Most Secure City - Leon, Mexico

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: The system will not track individuals who are not criminals or law-abiding citizens. However, it will be used to monitor those who are listed as watch-listed. Criminals and law-breakers will have their irises scanned automatically, while the rest of the population will be able to opt in or out of the program.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I read it on yahoo news.

Iris Scanners Create the Most Secure City in the World.

Biometrics R&D firm Global Rainmakers Inc. (GRI) announced today that it is rolling out its iris scanning technology to create what it calls "the most secure city in the world." In a partnership with Leon -- one of the largest cities in Mexico, with a population of more than a million -- GRI will fill the city with eye-scanners. That will help law enforcement revolutionize the way we live -- not to mention marketers.

"In the future, whether it's entering your home, opening your car, entering your workspace, getting a pharmacy prescription refilled, or having your medical records pulled up, everything will come off that unique key that is your iris," says Jeff Carter, CDO of Global Rainmakers. Before coming to GRI, Carter headed a think tank partnership between Bank of America, Harvard, and MIT. "Every person, place, and thing on this planet will be connected [to the iris system] within the next 10 years," he says.

Leon is the first step. To implement the system, the city is creating a database of irises. Criminals will automatically be enrolled, their irises scanned once convicted. Law-abiding citizens will have the option to opt-in.

When these residents catch a train or bus, or take out money from an ATM, they will scan their irises, rather than swiping a metro or bank card. Police officers will monitor these scans and track the movements of watch-listed individuals. "Fraud, which is a $50 billion problem, will be completely eradicated," says Carter. Not even the "dead eyeballs" seen in Minority Report could trick the system, he says. "If you've been convicted of a crime, in essence, this will act as a digital scarlet letter. If you're a known shoplifter, for example, you won't be able to go into a store without being flagged. For others, boarding a plane will be impossible."

http://www.fastcompany.com/1683302/...-world-welcomes-big-brother?partner=yahoobuzz

Physics news on Phys.org
That is lovely. The only downfall is that sunglasses will prevent 'tracking' of individuals, and, well who gets the access to such an iris database? What would be in it? If its the government then this won't fly in the US. If the database contains everything about you, then you would end up being harassed by marketing ads, telephone calls, and blackmail. I can almost picture this automated email or phonecall: 'Hi cronxeh! Would you like your wife to find out who you were staring at for 3 minutes and 24 seconds today?' Or you start getting directed advertisment based on your facial expression of joy and your iris ID while you were looking at something or someone. Coupled with neurolinguistic programming you will end up buying that thing you really wanted! Or maybe it would be like match.com. She looks at you and looks away, you look at her and look away, and the security system matches you both and arranges a date in the.. drum roll.. romantic restaurant just around the corner! And the table is already arranged, and it orders that meal you like and that thing she likes, and the hotel sweet is rented after a first 'hello'.

I must say though, this is not such a bad scenario to live in.

Last edited:
What about specialty contacts?

I guess if your irises can't be scanned you can't enter?

Evo said:

When it comes to that level of security, I'm moving to a desolate place, far away. Although Nova Scotia is on my list of places to which I'd consider moving. The Balkans, Black Sea Coast, Badakshan/Wakhan/Pamirs, Patagonia, Bhutan, South Island New Zealand, and Flagstaff are also on my list.

Astronuc said:
The Balkans, Black Sea Coast

Ohh.. come here. We will live like kings, eat the best foods ever and have fun in the mountains.

DanP said:
Ohh.. come here. We will live like kings, eat the best foods ever and have fun in the mountains.

I'm getting a Brokeback Mountain kind of vibe..

Evo said:

I was wondering if, from the database, you could make contacts that emulate someone else.

Astronuc said:
When it comes to that level of security, I'm moving to a desolate place, far away. Although Nova Scotia is on my list of places to which I'd consider moving. The Balkans, Black Sea Coast, Badakshan/Wakhan/Pamirs, Patagonia, Bhutan, South Island New Zealand, and Flagstaff are also on my list.

New Zealand, definitely New Zealand. But what would they do with the sudden influx of fleeing Americans? Probably install some fancy national security system...

Astronuc said:

Flagstaff :biggrin:?

lisab said:
Flagstaff :biggrin:?
Yeah - it's actually a nice and relatively quiet place. It's not too far from the Grand Canyon, and Humphreys Peak, the highest point in the state of Arizona, with an elevation of 12,637 feet (3,852 m) is located within Kachina Peaks Wilderness in Coconino County, about 11 miles (17.7 km) north of Flagstaff, Arizona!

And Meteor Crater is not too far either.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteor_Crater

:biggrin:

Of course, I really like the Balkan and Carpathian Mountains.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Mountains
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpathian_Mountains

My apologies to Evo for hijacking her thread and posting OT.

I'm more concerned that a city the size of Leon is actually implementing this.

Any place that requires iris scanning is a place that I would prefer to avoid.

Why is an eye scanner any more disturbing than a face scanner?

With 28,000 drug war deaths since 2006, I doubt that there will ever be a secure city in Mexico.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2010/08/death-toll-drug-war-mexico.html

There is no way to verify it, but based on previous deals in Mexico, I would presume that the city officials took some money from the iris Scan company to let their citizens be guinea pigs.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :smile:

cronxeh said:
That is lovely. The only downfall is that sunglasses will prevent 'tracking' of individuals, and, well who gets the access to such an iris database? What would be in it? If its the government then this won't fly in the US. If the database contains everything about you, then you would end up being harassed by marketing ads, telephone calls, and blackmail. I can almost picture this automated email or phonecall: 'Hi cronxeh! Would you like your wife to find out who you were staring at for 3 minutes and 24 seconds today?' Or you start getting directed advertisment based on your facial expression of joy and your iris ID while you were looking at something or someone. Coupled with neurolinguistic programming you will end up buying that thing you really wanted! Or maybe it would be like match.com. She looks at you and looks away, you look at her and look away, and the security system matches you both and arranges a date in the.. drum roll.. romantic restaurant just around the corner! And the table is already arranged, and it orders that meal you like and that thing she likes, and the hotel sweet is rented after a first 'hello'.

I must say though, this is not such a bad scenario to live in.

This reminds me a little of a scene from the video game Mass Effect 2. It's set in the not-too-distant future. On the galaxy's largest space station, called The Citadel, there are advertisement boxes. Walking by the box plays a customized advertisement just for you.

In Mass Effect 2, your character has been "off the books" (so to speak) for 2 years. When you go to the Citadel the first time in the game, an advertisement pops up and points out that you've been "unemployed" for over 2 years and tries recruiting you as a colonist, or suggests going back to college.

has examples.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
Why is an eye scanner any more disturbing than a face scanner?
Which cities have face scanners in place?

Evo said:
Which cities have face scanners in place?

I think this is being used in many cities already. If not, it is being tested. It was first being implemented for use in airports to identify known terrorists.

I am pretty sure that London, for one, was putting in or testing a facial recognition system. They already have cameras everywhere.

calls "the most secure city in the world." In ..

Safe and secure are not close substitutes of each other, but the OP did make me wonder what could prevent https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2844390&postcount=2185" :smile:.

Last edited by a moderator:
edward said:
With 28,000 drug war deaths since 2006, I doubt that there will ever be a secure city in Mexico.

Once a time, America was in a civil war.

rootX said:
Once a time, America was in a civil war.
Which are the secure cities in the US?

Google are already planning to track your movements using smartphones and their android operating system. The idea being that whenever you walk into a departement store they can target specific ad's towards you.

It's too "Big Brother" for me.

Astronuc said:

Choose Nova Scotia; at least we'll be in the same country then. My grandmother came from Peggy's Cove. There's nothing quite like the delightful aroma of sun-ripened fish wafting through the night air...

(Fish gag stolen from Pat Paulsen.)

I don't think it will make the place more secure... petty crimes don't involve entering anyone's house... and serious criminals... well, I can see rich/powerful people getting their eyes gouged out...

1. What is iris scanning technology?

Iris scanning technology is a biometric identification system that uses the unique patterns in a person's iris to verify their identity. The iris is the colored part of the eye surrounding the pupil and is considered to be the most accurate and stable biometric trait.

2. How does iris scanning technology work?

Iris scanning technology uses a special camera to take a high-resolution image of a person's iris. This image is then converted into a digital template and stored in a database. When a person needs to be identified, their iris is scanned again and compared to the stored template for a match.

3. How secure is iris scanning technology?

Iris scanning technology is considered to be one of the most secure biometric identification systems available. The iris patterns are unique to each individual and cannot be easily replicated or forged. Additionally, the technology is non-intrusive and does not require physical contact, making it more hygienic compared to other biometric methods.

4. What makes Leon, Mexico the world's most secure city?

Leon, Mexico has implemented iris scanning technology throughout the city as part of its security measures. This means that all residents and visitors must have their iris scanned to enter certain areas, such as government buildings and public spaces. This strict security measure has significantly reduced crime rates and increased the overall safety of the city.

5. Are there any privacy concerns with iris scanning technology?

As with any biometric identification system, there are potential privacy concerns with iris scanning technology. Some people may feel uncomfortable with their iris being scanned and stored in a database. However, many countries have strict regulations in place to protect the privacy of individuals and ensure that the data is used only for identification purposes.