1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this force a central field ?

1. Sep 26, 2004 #1

cj

Is this force a "central field" ?

A partical moves in a spiral orbit given by:

[tex]r=a\theta[/tex]

if [tex]\theta[/tex] increases linearly with time, is the force a central field? If not, how would [tex]\theta[/tex] have to vary with time for a central force?

I believe that a central force is a function only of the scalar distance, r, to the force center, and its direction is along the radius vector.

I also believe that the angular momentum of a particle is constant when it is moving under the action of a central force.

Even though I seem to remember the above, I'm at a loss see whether or not the above is a central force -- nor how to modify it to make it one??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the angular momentum, in terms of r and \theta ?

4. Sep 26, 2004 #3

cj

[tex]L = r \times mv = mr^2\dot{\theta}[/tex]

I think ...

So, this means

[tex]L = r \times mv = mr^2\dot{\theta} = ma^2\theta^2\dot{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\dot{\theta}[/tex] is constant (since it varies linearly with t), but [tex]\theta^2[/tex] is not constant.

So -- this does not correspond to a central field? Or am I still missing something?

5. Sep 26, 2004 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From the trajectory, you can calculate the velocity vector and the acceleration vector. [Using Newton's Law, you can find the force vector.] You can express this as a vector field. Check if its curl is zero... (I believe this is necessary but not sufficient for a central force).

Of course, you can probably just check if the acceleration vector is radial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?